The Student Room Group

Posh

What kind of people do students refer to as "posh" ? Please serious answers :smile:.I saw the word a lot on this forum .
Original post by DanArthur
What kind of people do students refer to as "posh" ? Please serious answers :smile:.I saw the word a lot on this forum .

Oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Can you be more thorough ? I don't believe everyone from Oxbridge is posh.
Can you be more thorough ? I don't believe everyone from Oxbridge is posh.

I know
It's just a stereotype
I guess Posh to me is not really someone who's snobby but rather, eats the finest foods, wears the most extravagant clothes, buys the high end produce, etc...
Sort of like Posh spice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Bloom77
I know
It's just a stereotype
I guess Posh to me is not really someone who's snobby but rather, eats the finest foods, wears the most extravagant clothes, buys the high end produce, etc...
Sort of like Posh spice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay , and why do people see this as bad ? If they have the money , why not do it .
Okay , and why do people see this as bad ? If they have the money , why not do it .

Probably because people with money think they are better than every. Having money is not bad but when you treat people without it horrible, it just not right. Usually when you think of posh school, everyone's stuck up, it might not be the case though. Did that help or more info?
Reply 6

When did they say, they saw it as bad...?
Reply 7

my dad owns a yacht
Reply 8
Original post by Skittles_Lime
Probably because people with money think they are better than every. Having money is not bad but when you treat people without it horrible, it just not right. Usually when you think of posh school, everyone's stuck up, it might not be the case though. Did that help or more info?

Yeah it did , thanks. So they are basically people who never worked for a dime , got it all from parents and think they are superior to other people . Met actually a few of them but it's easy to shut them off :smile:
If you sound like someone off Made in Chelsea, you are posh.
Reply 10
Original post by Axiomara
When did they say, they saw it as bad...?

In some discussions on TSR . Don't remember which ones.
Reply 11
Original post by BabyLadDarren
If you sound like someone off Made in Chelsea, you are posh.

Quick question

My parents have the money to keep me in uni and also I don't have to work until I finish school (very grateful to them ). I also like to wear fancy watches and sometimes fancy clothes but I NEVER BRAG or treat someone differently only because my parents happened to be doing well right now.Am I posh ?

Lol

If I were posh I wouldn't be crying over the fact that a £20 dress that I really like is too expensive for me
Quick question

My parents have the money to keep me in uni and also I don't have to work until I finish school (very grateful to them ). I also like to wear fancy watches and sometimes fancy clothes but I NEVER BRAG or treat someone differently only because my parents happened to be doing well right now.Am I posh ?

i'd say you're like me in many ways
middle class ecept you're middle class backgrounnd
i've fought hard to reach my pedistal so i can be a little on the snobby side mainly to the jelous and uninspired

Spoiler

Quick question

I'd say you're like me in many ways
middle class except you're middle class background
I've fought hard to reach my pedestal so I can be a little on the snobby side mainly to the jealous and uninspired

Spoiler

Original post by Bloom77
I know
It's just a stereotype
Sort of like Posh spice

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's not what posh is
I'd say someone who is viewed as posh at university is someone who grew up in a wealthy family and has money at university so it is perceived as them not having earned it. Also having certain experiences and bragging about it, that's seen as quite posh. Bringing a car is a big one, having a driving license is less so but still somewhat posh. Certain subjects are seen as posh, mostly art subjects with poor perceived career prospects e.g. English but not Law.
People like me :biggrin:
Reply 18
Depends on the context. If I was saying it to my friend like "you're so posh" I'd mean it as really picky.

But if I really meant it then someone stuck up. Who grew up with their parents giving them basically anything they want and don't realise people have to work for it. Basically the idiots who say **** like, why don't you just find a job or poor people should just be killed.
Posh accent, waitrose, oxford ralph lauren shirts, loafers, tory scum, private school, above average intellect

Quick Reply

Latest