The Student Room Group

Can I become a doctor with these GCSE grades?

Hi,

I recently received my GCSE results and I'm worried that they're not good enough for me to be able to become a doctor. If anyone has any advice on how I could still become a doctor I would really appreciate it.

I got Bs in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (but I was very close to an A in Chemistry so I'm getting it remarked). I also got an A in maths and A*s in both English lit and Lang. (I also got 3 other GCSEs).

At the moment I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and English Lit AS.

I'm also a member of St John's Ambulance and have done a weeks work experience in a hospital.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
get more experience, write a killer PS then smash your A-Levels (AAA+) apply to top medical schools and hope for the best

But check medical school gcse requirements online
There's also a tSR article about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ultimately you'll need to have a brilliant PS, and high UKCAT/BMAT as well as good AS's (if you'll do them) and good predictions to show you've progressed from GCSE. Best of luck 🙂
GCSEs don't mean that much when you are applying to uni, as its mostly your predicted A level grades they are interested in. However GCSEs do indicate what it is likely you may achieve at A level. Students with B grades at GCSE in science often find the sciences incredibly difficult at A level. Remember a B at GCSE shows you got about 50-55% of a higher tier paper correct. At A level you would be likely to come out with C/D grades. You are going to have to work incredibly hard and expect a massive jump up to AS level. Make sure you are getting regular, realistic updates from your teachers about the grade you are working at and have back-up plans thought out from the beginning.

It IS possible for you to get the grades you need, but expect it to be a tough ride! Good luck with your studies.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was wondering if I could become a doctor too-4a*, 4a's and 3b's at gcse and doing biology, chemistry and music at a level.I have no work expirience.
Reply 5
Did you apply for medicine, if yes did you get any offers?
Original post by londoncalling123
Hi,

I recently received my GCSE results and I'm worried that they're not good enough for me to be able to become a doctor. If anyone has any advice on how I could still become a doctor I would really appreciate it.

I got Bs in Biology, Physics and Chemistry (but I was very close to an A in Chemistry so I'm getting it remarked). I also got an A in maths and A*s in both English lit and Lang. (I also got 3 other GCSEs).

At the moment I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level and English Lit AS.

I'm also a member of St John's Ambulance and have done a weeks work experience in a hospital.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice :smile:
Biology isn't that big a problem but you'll definitely need an A in chemistry at A-level. Your St John's ambulance volunteering is good but you need to do it for an extended period - 18 months is average. Otherwise working in a retirement home is good - develops your bedside manner and the soft skills you're not taught at medical school. You can download past papers for the BMAT tests.
so u mean u can go for medicine if u haven't taken bio in A levels but chem?
Original post by jasonsmith17
Biology isn't that big a problem but you'll definitely need an A in chemistry at A-level. Your St John's ambulance volunteering is good but you need to do it for an extended period - 18 months is average. Otherwise working in a retirement home is good - develops your bedside manner and the soft skills you're not taught at medical school. You can download past papers for the BMAT tests.
Yes, it sounds weird but most medicine universities only require chemistry and one of biology/physics/maths but I think chemistry and biology are best as the medical industry can be very competitive.
Original post by Chrysoberyl Rove
so u mean u can go for medicine if u haven't taken bio in A levels but chem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending