The Student Room Group

is an essay based subject necessary for medicine?

i'm starting a levels in a week and aiming to do medicine, i have chosen maths, further maths, bio, chem and physics. Knowing that this is a lot to cope with i was wondering if unit would prefer if i showcase some essay based skills at AS in something like economics or rs?

Scroll to see replies

no thats fine
Why are you taking 5 A levels? I would reconsider ...
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you taking 5 A levels? I would reconsider ...

most people aiming for medicine in my school are, and it seems fairly common especially in the competing private school everyone does it, but what would you recommend?
Reply 4
Original post by anoushka221
most people aiming for medicine in my school are, and it seems fairly common especially in the competing private school everyone does it, but what would you recommend?

There really isn't much point, your time would be better spent doing 4 A levels and working on your extracurriculars. Which 5 are you considering?
Reply 5

Further Maths is totally unnecessary - most medical schools won't count it as a separate subject to Maths, so I wouldn't bother with it.

No need for an essay subject unless you want to do one instead of (not as well as) Maths/Physics. Only UCL express a preference for a "contrasting" subject.
5 is overkill with all the other things you'll have to be doing in order to make a strong application.
i'm starting a levels in a week and aiming to do medicine, i have chosen maths, further maths, bio, chem and physics. Knowing that this is a lot to cope with i was wondering if unit would prefer if i showcase some essay based skills at AS in something like economics or rs?

Maths and further maths are not counted as seperate in the eyes of the medical schools, so it is basically like doing 2 Alevels (so double the work, double the stress and taking a lot of time from your other subjects) to only be credited for the average of the 2 grades... I personally would advise against maths and further maths if you are 100% on medicine.

DO NOT DO 6! you are already doing 5 rigorous academic subjects, it is nice to have an essay subject in there for yourself, but not if you wont enjoy it, and do it in place of another subject instead of with everything else.

You only need AAA to get into medicine, having AAAAA will not give you any advantage unless you apply to barts, and often taking many many Alevels can lead to you spreading yourself to thinly and underachieving due to being overworked.
Reply 8
Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, Biology and Chemistry plus one other subject would suffice.*

As Biology and Chemistry are content heavy i.e. lots of stuff to remember, a subject like English Literature might allow you to take the strain off a little. Not to say you don't have to know a lot, but it's more a case of, if you know it, you know it.

Does it help? Well, it doesn't not help. Doing an essay based subject may well help your verbal reasoning and expression, which are key skills for any health professional. You will have to write reports and you will have to write literature reviews as part of a medical degree, so those skills are worth nurturing early on.*

No it shouldn't make a difference either way.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume an essay-based subject is easier. I did Bio, Chem, Maths and English Literature for A Level, and found English Literature to be by far the most time-consuming.
(edited 7 years ago)

Our school recommended us to take an essay based/arts subject as a fourth because it shows you're strong in a range of subjects including the main science ones. Having a subject like French or RS shows you have analytical skills due to the essay-based nature of the subjects which looks more impressive than doing another science-based subject.
Original post by studentsixth
Our school recommended us to take an essay based/arts subject as a fourth because it shows you're strong in a range of subjects including the main science ones. Having a subject like French or RS shows you have analytical skills due to the essay-based nature of the subjects which looks more impressive than doing another science-based subject.

As Helenia pointed out already above - most medical schools don't express a preference for students with a combination of arts and science A-levels. If you want to take an arts subject instead of Maths or Physics, that's fine, but it's absolutely unnecessary to do so otherwise, unless you happen to have your heart set on UCL.

Most places won't care so long as you're taking bio and chem. You can take an essay based one if that's your preference (I took history for example just because I liked it), but it won't sway the opinion of unis so long as you get AAA out of it.

I'll second (tenth?) everyone on this thread who's advising against you taking five subjects. I've been there and it's neither necessary for medicine nor fun.
Original post by *pitseleh*
As Helenia pointed out already above - most medical schools don't express a preference for students with a combination of arts and science A-levels. If you want to take an arts subject instead of Maths or Physics, that's fine, but it's absolutely unnecessary to do so otherwise, unless you happen to have your heart set on UCL.

If you had read my comment, you'd notice I never mentioned anything about a preference. I just mentioned that it looks nice to have an essay-based subject and by no means compulsory. Having an arts subject as an AS is also beneficial in taking a break from the science-based subjects and is something much more worthwhile to persue than to be doing something like Further Maths if medical schools are not willing to class it as another subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
If you had read my comment, you'd notice I never mentioned anything about a preference. I just mentioned that it looks nice to have an essay-based subject and by no means compulsory. Having an arts subject as an AS is also beneficial in taking a break from the science-based subjects and is something much more worthwhile to persue than to be doing something like Further Maths if medical schools are not willing to class it as another subject.

I read your comment; you said your school has 'recommended' an arts subject. Why would they do that if they didn't think it preferable to all sciences?

You're setting up a bit of a straw-man with your second comment; I've not suggested the OP should take FM; just that arts subjects are in no way to be 'recommended' or preferred above others.*
Reply 15
I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology. Should i take English literature and sociology as well. I really want to do these subjects, but would it be wise to do so? I think i will be able to cope with the burden. What do you guys suggest?
And if I get an A* in these would it make my application more promising?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheCe
I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology. Should i take English literature and sociology as well. I really want to do these subjects, but would it be wise to do so? I think i will be able to cope with the burden. What do you guys suggest?
And if I get an A* in these would it make my application more promising?

You want to do 6 A levels? Am I missing something?
Reply 17
Original post by Democracy
You want to do 6 A levels? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure hence I asked for help :smile:
Original post by TheCe
I'm not sure hence I asked for help :smile:

It is both unnecessary and extremely risky. Just do the normal number (I'm assuming this is four), get your grades and apply.
Reply 19
Original post by Democracy
It is both unnecessary and extremely risky. Just do the normal number (I'm assuming this is four), get your grades and apply.

Should I drop maths?

Quick Reply

Latest