Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Lots of Questions!!

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I have a couple of questions, so hopefully someone here can help?

1) I was looking at the official student union 'survival guide' and it says I need fancy dress and face paints.. Is this to do with freshers or is that in preparation for halloween? I love dressing up I'd just like some form of context as to what it is for!

2) I currently live on the Isle of Wight which is the southern most point of England (yeh it's a trek from Aber) but I have a boyfriend and younger siblings here.. Is it possible to come home for the occasional long weekend roviding it is settled with lecturers or is that not allowed at Aber? My brothers birthday falls on a Saturday this year and I would hate to miss it.

3) I've been accepted into PJM accommodation and I'm studying psychology BSc, does anyone have some helpful tips and tricks or advice for both my course and living space? What are some good things I'd need to know from a students point of view?

4) Has anybody attended the £100 activities week? My dad would like to send me on it as I've been very worried about moving away but I'm not exactly 'sporty'. I used to play volleyball and I love the dramatic arts but is there anything during activities week involving music/dance or quirky less sporty type things?

5) is meeting people easy to do at Aber? I'm a very loud and outgoing person which can be overbearing for some.. I'm a people person and I'd really love to be able to make some strong friendships over the next three years

Hey There!
    1) - Fancy dress is used mainly for socials - they tend to be (but not always) on wednesday or thursdays. I can't remember any fancy dress being needed for freshers last year, although if they is a paint or foam party, I would bring some clothes that you don't mind getting destroyed for that. Also for halloween you will need something, unless you aren't going to go out (which I advise against)
    2) During weekends you are free to do whatever you want to - you'll be an adult, so you will have that freedom. During the week, the official university policy is that you attend all lectures. However, if you miss one or two for a few days, they tend to turn a blind eye to it - lectures can always be caught up on the lecture video website (abercast.aber.ac.uk). Also if your attendance goes below a set threshold, you will get called into meetings about it.
    3) I can't help with psychology at all :/ - with PJM all I say is get prepared for fire alarms at all times of day (and night) and to make good use of your kitchen. Try and use it as a communal space to talk with your flatmates etc.
    4) Don't worry about not being sporty - people think that it is just sports that happen during this week, which it isn't. You get to choose from a big list of things to do, and you get a head start with getting to know some people. I imagine they will be music and dance things to do. (I think they are several drama clubs in aber too - looking at www.abersu.co.uk/societies/societieslist it looks like they are at least 4! The SU also put evening events on for you. (In addition you get free food and early accomodation, which is great too)
    5) Aber is a small town, so you tend to see some of the same faces around. They are 5 ways in which I think are good to make friends. Your flatmates, you coursemates, people in societies, people in sports clubs, and people you meet in town/friends of friends. You will also probably meet the odd wasted person and share life stories too and tell each other how awesome you are, never to see each other again.

Hope this helps

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.