The Student Room Group

Should I take 3 or 4 AS Levels?

I'm considering taking four AS Levels but with the reforms would taking four AS Levels be taking too much. I'm planning on taking Biology, History and English Literature with possibly Psychology or Chemistry. I really want to do Chemistry but apparently it's one of the hardest AS Levels along with History and Eng Lit. Psychology looks very interesting and good since the subject is new to me. I'm asking people with experience is it worth doing and should I take 3 or 4 and which AS-Levels?
I got a B in History, an A in both English subjects and a BC in Sciences which was partly down to bad ISA marking, I was predicted double A*. History, Biology and Eng Lit would be 1:1 tuition. Does anybody have any advice?
Original post by Atticus88
I'm considering taking four AS Levels but with the reforms would taking four AS Levels be taking too much. I'm planning on taking Biology, History and English Literature with possibly Psychology or Chemistry. I really want to do Chemistry but apparently it's one of the hardest AS Levels along with History and Eng Lit. Psychology looks very interesting and good since the subject is new to me. I'm asking people with experience is it worth doing and should I take 3 or 4 and which AS-Levels?
I got a B in History, an A in both English subjects and a BC in Sciences which was partly down to bad ISA marking, I was predicted double A*. History, Biology and Eng Lit would be 1:1 tuition. Does anybody have any advice?

Based on your science score i would definetly not take chemistry, people with A/a* at gcse struggle with chemistry.
Phycology i cannot speak off, however if you didnt perform well on your science exams due to inability of memorising facts effectively, phycology is not for you.

Wheras, taking 4 AS levels i strongly recommend as it give you the option to pick your best 3 after AS level, its upto you which 4th on you take though

I'm about to start my A2 year and I did 4 subjects for AS + the EPQ. You're right about chemistry being a tough subject and it wouldn't be recommended for someone with your science grades. Bare in mind that the majority that do chemistry will have achieved an A/A* at GCSE.It also depends on how much workload you think you can take on. Keep in mind it's better to do 3 very well than 4 ok. Chemistry is also maths heavy so even if you do get onto the course you might struggle if you don't do maths but no one can say for sure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MathSci1999
Based on your science score i would definetly not take chemistry, people with A/a* at gcse struggle with chemistry.
Phycology i cannot speak off, however if you didnt perform well on your science exams due to inability of memorising facts effectively, phycology is not for you.

Wheras, taking 4 AS levels i strongly recommend as it give you the option to pick your best 3 after AS level, its upto you which 4th on you take though

I got the best in the year for Science and it was down to bad ISA marking. Two other incredibly bright students got Cs despite getting As and A*s in the past papers as I did (surprisingly). I've also
started to look at some of the Chemistry work and although it looks hard it also looks very doable I got electronic structure in a couple of days without a teacher. I started my Additional Science course six months before the exam and taught myself most of the content but lapsed at Physics (I
hate that subject.) Any more advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
I got the best in the year for Science and it was down to bad ISA marking. Two other incredibly bright students got Cs despite getting As and A*s in the past papers as I did (surprisingly). I've also
started to look at some of the Chemistry work and although it looks hard it also looks very doable I got electronic structure in a couple of days without a teacher. I started my Additional Science course six months before the exam and taught myself most of the content but lapsed at Physics (I
hate that subject.) Any more advice?

If you got a C in gcse science , it doesnt matter wehter you got the highest in the year or not, chemistry a level is close to impossible to do for you.and its not possible to get A* in your papers and bad isa marking, and how can you blame the isa marking? you do knwo isa get moderated and therefore if it wasnt a concern , it was perfecrly fine so if you did fail the isa, it was due to being bad at it, not bad marking.

Im sorry for sounding harsh im just trying to make sure you dont do chem, ive had friends who got B's in science but straihgt failed it this year.
Considering gcse science is just common sense/ easy memoristaion and just generally piss easy - compared to a level, its extrmely difficult .

ps. electronic streucture is the easiest topic by a mile and the question that come up on it are the ones that even the U grade pupils got right.

once again im really sorry for sounding mean i jjust dont want you to make a bad choice, becuase i know at this point you feel you know best, but trust me a leevl will hit you in the head.

anything else??
Reply 5

If you listen in lessons, work hard and revise often it is possible to get any grade you want. If you like learning about the human mind and why humans behaviour a certain way pick Psychology. If you liked Chemistry at GCSE pick it at A-level, you did well. As for the people saying you will fail.... ignore them. Haters gonna hate. Everyone is different. Several people have done better in A-level than in GCSE. Get some advice from teachers who are actually qualified to help you.

On the other hand, doing 3 A-levels instead of 4 is another option if you personally think you can't handle A-level Chemistry or Psychology
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

science is clearly not your strong point so i strongly suggest sticking with the humanities unless you wanna do a science degree and NEED such subjects.

my advice to you would be to do : english, psychology, and history
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
science is clearly not your strong point so i strongly suggest sticking with the humanities unless you wanna do a science degree and NEED such subjects.

my advice to you would be to do : english, psychology, and history

That's a good point! If you know you don't need Chemistry for the degree you want to do or Psychology... don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest