The Student Room Group

Working in a Pub - Reasonable Expectations?

Today I did an hour trial shift in a local pub pulling pints. Not sure whether it's the right thing for me or not. The clients were generally nice, but when I spoke to the manager after wards, he seemed to be expecting me to dive into any trouble, break up fights and sling out unruly punters and protect the waitresses and keep them out of harm's way, because aside from him, I'd be the only male staff member on, except for the cooks.*

I thought that would usually be the job of the management and/or bouncers. I'm not getting myself bottled for minimum wage, 14 hour a day, 7 day a week shift, and I can just see myself ending up being prosecuted for using force in some way without having any SIA licence or anything.

Are bartenders usually expected to double as bouncers? I haven't worked in a pub before, but I was under the impression that you generally stay behind the bar, cut people off and tell them to leave if they start geting rowdy, and if they get violent, call the police?
No you shouldn't do this. That's a bouncers job or you call the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XMaramena

for minimum wage, 14 hour a day, 7 day a week shift

I would think thats a bigger problem.
Reply 3
No it's not usually expected of barmen to act as bounchers (although some bartenders of either sex who have SIA badges might do this).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by arcenciel21
I would think thats a bigger problem.

They would need me every day, 11am - 1am. Hour before opening, hour before closing.*Fridays and Saturdays will be 11am - 2am. So I think that works out at a 100 hour week.

I've just been told that's not allowed though, so not sure how to go about saying that without angering the manager.*
They would need me every day, 11am - 1am. Hour before opening, hour before closing.*Fridays and Saturdays will be 11am - 2am. So I think that works out at a 100 hour week.

I've just been told that's not allowed though, so not sure how to go about saying that without angering the manager.*

Lol are you serious? Why did you take this job? Are you homeless? It's not like you will actually be able to work those hours. Did you get hired in a Nazi labour camp or something?
Reply 6

That's more than twice the legal amount of weekly working hours, there are some jobs were there are acceptions but a bartender isn't one of them. Have you actually accepted the job yet?*
Reply 7
Original post by gemmam
That's more than twice the legal amount of weekly working hours, there are some jobs were there are acceptions but a bartender isn't one of them. Have you actually accepted the job yet?*

No, but part of the employment contract is opting out of the 48 hour limit.
Reply 8
No, but part of the employment contract is opting out of the 48 hour limit.

If I was in your position I wouldn't accept it. I agree with J-SP that it seems dodgy; they're expecting too much from you. *
Text him a link to a government website which states the limit on the number of hours you can work.
On a side note, your manager sounds dodgy and is trying to squeeze as much out from you as he possibly can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending