The Student Room Group

extra curriculum projects during A Level

i am aware that universities dont only look at grades when offering a place so i was wondering what other things i could do in order to better my chances of getting a place. i am hesistant to get a job but if the benefits are worth it i might consider.
Original post by danielle0101
i am aware that universities dont only look at grades when offering a place so i was wondering what other things i could do in order to better my chances of getting a place. i am hesistant to get a job but if the benefits are worth it i might consider.

What do you want to do in the future/at uni?

You could try the National Citizen Service if you're eligible, or do the Duke of Edinburgh award. Many universities also do summer schools for Year 12 students in particular subjects which you can check out by going onto their websites/emails from your school/speaking to teachers. There's the Sutton Trust summer school that you can have a look at and there's also the Nuffield Research Placements if you're interested in STEM. Finally, work experience in the field you're interested in!
Reply 2
Original post by Black Rose

You could try the National Citizen Service if you're eligible, or do the Duke of Edinburgh award. Many universities also do summer schools for Year 12 students in particular subjects which you can check out by going onto their websites/emails from your school/speaking to teachers. There's the Sutton Trust summer school that you can have a look at and there's also the Nuffield Research Placements if you're interested in STEM. Finally, work experience in the field you're interested in!

Would you advise doing the nuffield research programme, or going to a summer school?

You can try St John Ambulance, where you learn first aid skills
Maybe do volunteering, maybe at a shop so you get work experience, and the hours are more flexible, and are doing it for a good cause at the same time :wink:
D of E

You could check with your college if you can do an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) which is in-depth research on anything you want. I think it's equivalent to an AS and many universities like it!
Original post by Black Rose

im not too sure about the uni course yet although i do want to go to university. i am however taking maths, further maths, chem and bio for a level

Quick Reply

Latest