The Student Room Group

Which area of Chemistry will result in better employment and job prospects?

I plan to work in industry so I wanted to know which modules I should pick so I can get into a certain industry. For example I have heard that pharmaceutical industry is declining in the UK hence I should not do medicinal chemistry as the job market is poor for that branch of chemistry
(edited 7 years ago)
bump
bump bump
I wouldn't rule out pharmaceuticals if you're going to be at a very good university.
Reply 4
Just do whatever modules you enjoy. If you try to do something you don't like you'll probably be crap at it.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I wouldn't rule out pharmaceuticals if you're going to be at a very good university.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/op1001676

This article has me thinking otherwise... :unsure:
Reply 6
Green chemistry, renewable energy, clean catalysts, nanotechnology, more efficient batteries etc. Due to things like the Paris Agreement, governments are investing lots of money into these industries. So there is money to be made, and it'll be huge fulfilling knowing that it's beneficial to humanity.
Reply 7
The fields that are in demand now may be very different to those which are available once you are qualified. It's at least 6 years to get a undergraduate degree and PhD (more likely closer to 10 if you do a bachelors + masters +PhD).

Just do what you enjoy.
Original post by alow
Just do whatever modules you enjoy. If you try to do something you don't like you'll probably be crap at it.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending