Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rock bottom

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

anonymous for obvious reasons.
    I finished college in 2015, and have since taken a year out to retake my A2 levels which I completed this year. (I previously failed them due to low mood, lack of motivation, and hating college, having no friends etc.)
    I have now managed to get grades I am proud of (AAB) and have been accepted into my first choice university which I will start to attend this September.

Throughout the last 3 years I have been miserable and have suffered with depression, but I put a lot of it down to my circumstances, and despite how bad everything got sometimes, one of the main things that would keep me going and would motivate me, was the idea that I could go to uni and things would change, maybe even for the better. Something to look forward to.

But since being accepted into my first choice uni (which don't get me wrong, I love, including the subject field), I have felt the opposite from what I have expected to feel and don't feel any better. If anything I feel a lot worse. I should be happier, but I am not and it doesn't make sense.

I was LITERALLY living for the idea of uni and change, and now I have actually been accepted and will be going, I find myself even more depressed than I was initially when this should not be the case. I can't even put a reason behind it this time.

I have found it increasingly hard to get out of bed in the morning, and find myself sleeping all day, whenever I don't have work. I have a complete loss of appetite, feel drained and am also having reoccurring bad thoughts on a daily basis (which I won't mention here bc don't want my post to be removed but hopefully you can understand what I mean by this).
    I struggle see how anything can get any better or whether I have a future, when this mindset is ILLOGICAL, but none the less these thoughts consume me and make everything seem pointless.
    It's sad to see my family hurt that I am not feeling better after this good news and life change as they all hoped it would, despite my efforts to try not to reveal how I'm feeling because I don't want to let them down.

I don't want to feel this way forever and I really hoped I wouldn't.

I don't know whether it's even a good idea to start university feeling like this?

Does anyone have any similar experiences? or know what the options are?
    Any advice would also be very much be appreciated.

Thank you for reading and sorry this post was long.

I hear you. I've been through similar things in the past, and I'm probably going through it now because I find myself unable to be productive right this moment (despite graduating with a first just one year ago). PM me if you want to talk more

Is there any family you can talk to? I would strongly advice that you go to your GP, be 100% honest with them, or if you're not ready to go yet then call a mental health hotline such as mind, samaratins or SANEline. At uni you can call night line as well. The important thing is to talk to someone, anyone. It honestly sounds like you have depression, everything you're feeling adds up to it. Try to find some joy in your life, something, anything to hold on to to get you through this. Watch TED talks, some of them can be really useful in changing your outlook about life. Even if it's an image you have about your future career or life, hold onto that and use that as motivation to get though life now. Staying in bed is the tempting option to not face the world, but it becomes a cycle, a vicious horrible cycle. When you start uni, it may be that being busy and constantly having something to do will alleviate these feelings, but you cannot keep things bottled in because in the long run it will just make you feel worse and worse. If you want you can PM me whenever, if you feel like talking, there's always someone there that you can talk to
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.