Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

too much revise? or not enough?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've looked online and found all the exam dates for the subjects I take. I checked that it said 2017 and it was the correct exam board. So, I was wondering whether this was too much revising. I plan to start my revision on the 14th of January. My plan also consists of revising an hour after school, 3 hours every weekday and 2 hours every weekend. The 2 hours every weekend also applies to holiday and bank holiday Mondays. I've got a calendar that has the holidays etc in 2017, so I worked out a number of hours I would revise each subject.

NOTE: My first exam begins on the 16th of may. Also, for Geography I am staying back every Thursday in the beginning of the year all the way up until the exam. In addition to this, I am revising everything I've learnt in Maths and Science. Maths because we are on a new exam thing where the marks are not in letters and in numbers.(9-1) this is only for Maths and both Englishes. Also because of that, I have to learn 3 years of Maths in 2 years. And Science I have a really bad teacher. In year 9 she got me an overall C and in year 10 a different better teacher got me an overall A.
    I plan to Finish 2 pieces of coursework by the 10th of January and start my revising 4 days later.

I worked out that I would revise:
    English Literature - 30hrs (two exams)
    English Language - 30hrs (two exams)
    Maths (excluding learning what I did in lessons) - 60hrs (three exams)
    Additional Science - 90hrs (three exams, Bio, Chem,Phys)
    Food technology - 20hrs (1 exam, don't really care about the subject)
    French - 20hrs (4 exams, but are really short)
    Geography - 75hrs (Excluding the one hour ever Thursday)

I just thought revise way in advance in small amounts of time and stress less

For GCSEs? You could probably start revising later, but if you need it or don't mind it, then why not.
    Look at how you do for mocks in december then decide if you need intense revision or not. With me i was happy with my mock results so i didn't really revise until close to the exam, if you're not happy then start in like march or february

It's a good amount of time to revise but I think starting so early might burn you out and by May you might have forgotten what you revised in January, unless you plan to go over things more than once. For GCSEs I didn't start revising properly until April and I did fine, and some of my coursework wasn't done until April/May either, although I would suggest to start some light revision in February or March to reduce stress later on. But if you feel that revising a lot earlier suits you best then do it.

If you want to get good grades January is definitely the time to look at revising. Personally I started proper revision just before May and although I ended up with brilliant grades I was way too stressed and had literally no life for the whole exam period. You should revise about 5 hours on Friday/Saturday and have Sunday off. For weekdays you WILL get burnt out revising 3 hours a day, going to school and doing revision for 5 days. For weekdays just do 1 hour a day and homework, until May time where you should start revising more and also during exam leave you should be revising for more time than you are at school.

Bruh some people in my school left it to 3 weeks before their GCSE exams and still completely aced it and got straight A/A*. When it comes to GCSEs it's not so much about how much time you put in but how SMARTLY you work. Learn those markschemes, do past paper questions again and again. Practice writing essays under timed condition again and again. Only use the specification points to see what you have to learn, you don't need to learn the whole textbook
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.