Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduated, have a year off to do something. where?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hallo. I graduated this summer from Rhul. Since I have no pressing urge to go to work right now, I thought it'd be best if I travelled somewhere, but I'd also like to do something.

An example of something I'd want is the EVS (European Voluntary Service). For anybody who doesn't know what it's about, is a one-time opportunity for any Europeans to go to a country and work lightly there (e.g. 4-6 hours) while exploring it. Offers vary.

However, I've spent a good two thirds of my life and travels in Europe, so I'd like to go elsewhere.

Cost is not extremely important to me: I considered something like China, but backed out of it due to the very fishy nature of it (reviews were either mixed / negative, or so glowingly positive and 'artificial' that you could just tell they were paid for).

Something - an organisation, an agency - which offers travel & intern opportunities would be best, be it in the US or in Asia or in SA. As long as it's not Europe or Africa.

I have tried googling, but it's either pure travel (which would be fine, but I kind of want experience too), or literally just a job / paid internship (which is too far at the other end of the spectrum).

Any help appreciated.

While you may not intend to look for work straightaway, I'd still recommend that you seek employment opportunities wherever you go. Though of course, that depends on what you want to do

I already travelled around Southeast Asia. It's interesting experience. I got opportunities to have more knowledge of different aspects, especially history and culture in this trip. I went to visit Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. At that time, I also got a work in Vietnam. I worked as a volunteer for a NGO and learned many things from their project. During this trip, I also took a food tour of hanoitourist.org to walk around Hanoi Old Quarter and enjoy delicious food.

The first thing that comes to mind is Canada, it's a lovely place and I'm sure if you had a free day you could travel out into the wilderness. I'm sure there are plenty of volunteering opportunities out there! I guess it depends on what you want to do?

Alternatively, you could look at Australia, I've heard really good things about it. Many people take a gap year there. I'm sure you can find loads of opportunities to work or volunteer.

Australia sounds nice. Canada is a bit too cold for me - I've too much experience with those climates to be a fan of them . Thanks for the answers, wiill look into aussieland
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.