The Student Room Group

Ok to retake AS maths for medicine ?

I've just finished AS maths and got a C , obviously I kind of need an A next year if I have a hope of getting a place. Are most Med schools cool with retaking some modules if the whole A level still only takes 2 years ?
They probably wont even know tbh. Id say its certainly worth resitting. AS maths will seem like a total doddle once youve done A2 as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Marked Target
They probably wont even know tbh. Id say its certainly worth resitting. AS maths will seem like a total doddle once youve done A2 as well.

Thanks but don't you have to declare it ?
Hmm, tbh I cant actually remember (even though it was only a month or so ago). I resat C4 in A2 and I don't remember doing anything to declare it.

Since you don't actually have an A level yet I don't see how they would know you resat unless they ask for specific details (which seems unlikely for med school and maths). I know that some universities (Durham is one i think) ask for UMS breakdowns of your grade which also lists when you sat the exam so they would see but that's only if you apply for maths. I don't see why med school would be so bothered about your UMS in various maths modules.

You wont be re-declaring your AS grade since your A level supersedes it and since you cant have your A level until next year they shouldn't have any way of knowing.

Oh, I should say this is all just speculation on my behalf. I have never worked in admissions and have no way of actually knowing this. You'd be better off contacting someone who has if you really want to know but i'd say its worth resitting since what looks better someone with an A who resat C1 and C2 or someone with a B who didnt?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HelloM8
Thanks but don't you have to declare it ?

If your school certificates AS then yes you do. But I wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue for most unis unless they look at AS grades carefully (including re-sits). Just make sure you apply to the right university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending