The Student Room Group

Structure and bonding

Hello, co2 and so2 both have double covalent bonds. However the answer states that silicon dioxide has single covalent bonds only, why ?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What would a giant lattice of silicon dioxide look like?
Reply 2
Original post by alow
What would a giant lattice of silicon dioxide look like?

It's quite big; each s atom is bonded to 4 other o atoms.
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
It's quite big; each s atom is bonded to 4 other o atoms.

Exactly. That's your single bonds.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
Exactly. That's your single bonds.

But if I am only looking at the dot and cross diagram, it suggests otherwise...
Reply 5
But if I am only looking at the dot and cross diagram, it suggests otherwise...

Silicon dioxide which isn't in a giant covalent structure, as far as I'm aware, isn't really a thing.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Silicon dioxide which isn't in a giant covalent structure, as far as I'm aware, isn't really a thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silicon+dioxide&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=912&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjcnITKoefOAhXLD8AKHZ3RDeUQ_AUIBigB
The pic shows that it has a giant covalent structure. How do you know that it only has single covalent bond if you don't look at this?
Reply 7
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silicon+dioxide&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=912&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjcnITKoefOAhXLD8AKHZ3RDeUQ_AUIBigB
The pic shows that it has a giant covalent structure. How do you know that it only has single covalent bond if you don't look at this?

Si is in the same group as carbon so has a valency of 4.
Reply 8
Original post by alow
Si is in the same group as carbon so has a valency of 4.

I understand that but the answer states that SO2 has single covalent bonds but co2 has double covalent bond, although they are the same in the dot and cross diagram. Why is that ? Thanks
Reply 9
I understand that but the answer states that SO2 has single covalent bonds but co2 has double covalent bond, although they are the same in the dot and cross diagram. Why is that ? Thanks

Si forming 4 Si-O bonds instead of two Si=O double bonds is due to the energy of it's 3p orbitals making this a more favorable situation.

The exact details of why this is are quite a bit beyond A Level, but I guess you could think of it as the Silicon orbitals which would form the pi bond not having enough "side-on" overlap with the singly sigma bonded oxygen's lone pairs to form a pi bond as these orbitals are quite a bit more diffuse than the orbitals of carbon. These orbitals however can form a sigma bond as they can have enough overlap "head-on" with the oxygen's orbitals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by alow
Si forming 4 Si-O bonds instead of two Si=O double bonds is due to the energy of it's 3p orbitals making this a more favorable situation.

The exact details of why this is are quite a bit beyond A Level, but I guess you could think of it as the Silicon orbitals which would form the pi bond not having enough "side-on" overlap with the singly sigma bonded oxygen's lone pairs to form a pi bond as these orbitals are quite a bit more diffuse than the orbitals of carbon. These orbitals however can form a sigma bond as they can have enough overlap "head-on" with the oxygen's orbitals.

You're right, that's actually beyond my spec. It's strange because a question asking for a dot and cross diagram for so2 is just same as co2 but when asking for bonding, it's different. I will bear that in mind. Cheers!
Hello, co2 and so2 both have double covalent bonds. However the answer states that silicon dioxide has single covalent bonds only, why ?

Thanks

Are you doing OCR? Because if you are, there is a tonne of mistakes in the book
Reply 12
You're right, that's actually beyond my spec. It's strange because a question asking for a dot and cross diagram for so2 is just same as co2 but when asking for bonding, it's different. I will bear that in mind. Cheers!

Yeah... I guess you could just do a dot and cross diagram of a silicon singly bonded to four oxygens? Strange question.
Reply 13
Original post by Ze Witcher
Are you doing OCR? Because if you are, there is a tonne of mistakes in the book

Hi, yea I am doing that but the the dot and cross diagram for so2 I am sure is right cuz that's in one of the exam questions. It is just like co2 right?
Hi, yea I am doing that but the the dot and cross diagram for so2 I am sure is right cuz that's in one of the exam questions. It is just like co2 right?

Hi, theoretically yes in terms of dot and cross but their bond angles differ

No, in sulfur(IV) oxide there is a lone pair on the sulfur atom.
Reply 16
Hi, theoretically yes in terms of dot and cross but their bond angles differ

Original post by charco

Yeah... OP are you getting confused between SiO2 and SO2?
Original post by charco

No one knew the oxidation number, in that case yes there is a lone pair on the sulfur atom, giving it a different bond angle
Reply 18
No one knew the oxidation number, in that case yes there is a lone pair on the sulfur atom, giving it a different bond angle

In SO2, the sulfur clearly has an oxidation state of +4...
Original post by alow
In SO2, the sulfur clearly has an oxidation state of +4...

Hey, its been a few months since I've recapped this stuff :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest