The Student Room Group

Is it permissible for a Muslim to have non-Muslim friends?

Or should I only be friends with other Muslims?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only if they're Halal :lol:

Spoiler

Of course it's permissable.

This is why we have integration problems in this country
Reply 3
Not Muslim but I'm pretty sure it is. Some of my best friends are Muslims...
I'm not Muslim myself but have Muslim friends so I'd say it is permissible:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes it is.

what a stupid question
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
Only if they're Halal :lol:

Spoiler

:colone:
Original post by inspiringtop123

If you have muslim friends which are telling you not to be friends with non- muslims than I really recommend you stay away from those type of people (I'm talking about your muslim friends)
i'm not muslim but i'm pretty sure it's fine?? some of my close friends were muslim
Reply 9
Im going to Mars bai
You're asking whether its ok or not for a muslim to be friends with a kafir? (I can use that right? I mean, it cant exactly be racist and I'm not a muslim but still)

I think almost all non-muslims would say yes. In the western world as well I'd wager a vast majority of muslims would say yes. There will be some orthodox muslims would will say no and that the kafir should be avoided at all costs as their interpretation of tabara. There are probably those would will claim any association with kafir is strictly under taqiyya. However, I personally (though I'm not a muslim) think such views are absurd.

Views such as these are the reason behind religious (well, secular and muslim) tensions in the west. If you are a muslim which believes you shouldn't be friends with kafir can't you just content yourself in the knowledge that they will suffer for an eternity in the afterlife and indulge them in their brief lives?

(forgive me if i misuse any terms - I'm not a muslim, i don't speak arabic and my knowledge of Islam is very rudimentary at best.)

EDIT: Iirc, tabara says you shouldn't associate with enemies of islam. Whether or not you consider all kafir enemies of islam is up to you. Some muslims obviously do but i think there is a distinction between enemy and neutral and hence it should be permissible.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is why people have a problem with Muslims, their conservative so called "religion".
Original post by Marked Target
You're asking whether its ok or not for a muslim to be friends with a kafir? (I can use that right? I mean, it cant exactly be racist and I'm not a muslim but still)

I think almost all non-muslims would say yes. In the western world as well I'd wager a vast majority of muslims would say yes. There will be some orthodox muslims would will say no and that the kafir should be avoided at all costs as their interpretation of tabara. There are probably those would will claim any association with kafir is strictly under taqiyya. However, I personally (though I'm not a muslim) think such views are absurd.

Views such as these are the reason behind religious (well, secular and muslim) tensions in the west. If you are a muslim which believes you shouldn't be friends with kafir can't you just content yourself in the knowledge that they will suffer for an eternity in the afterlife and indulge them in their brief lives?

(forgive me if i misuse any terms - I'm not a muslim, i don't speak arabic and my knowledge of Islam is very rudimentary at best.)

Yet you felt the need to post the above post while in the same breath admitting you don't know what you are talking about.
:sigh:
Original post by z33
Im going to Mars bai

I'm off to Venus :biggrin:
Original post by Al-farhan
Yet you felt the need to post the above post while in the same breath admitting you don't know what you are talking about.
:sigh:

Oh I'm sorry, the sarcastic comments were far more constructive. If you want to disagree with me do so. You can anonymously post. Was I wrong in something I said? Please, enlighten me. If you don't how can I be expected to learn and not to make the same mistake again?

If i had posted anonymously an masqueraded as an imam would you have said the same thing? Or are you dismissing my post based on me admitting I'm not an authoritative figure on the subject?
Preety sure OP asked this as an attempt to create an argument
I was friends with people who weren't muslims i'll be honest we live in a society like this also when we work not everyone has their own beliefs and stuff so i'd say it's okay it's just finding the right people who you can call true friends who won't judge you for your decisions and are supportive instead
Reply 17
I've been told it isn't.

I couldn't care less.

Nobody is telling me I'm not allowed to integrate with fellow countrymen or that I should live my life in a little secluded bubble.
Original post by inspiringtop123

Yes, I have loads of Non-Muslim friends.There's nothing wrong with that.
Reply 19
I've been told it isn't.

I couldn't care less.

Nobody is telling me I'm not allowed to integrate with my fellow countrymen or that I should live my life in a small secluded bubble.

Quick Reply

Latest