The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

These loans accrue interest at the rate of inflation, which means that the amount repaid has the same value as the amount borrowed.

NO difference between student loan and bank loan.

What bank loans are practically interest free and don't have to be repaid until you're earning 15,000 a year?! :rofl:

So you receive money from the government instead of from your parents. You're still relying on someone other than yourself to get you through university. That makes you no better than those who get money from their parents.
more adventurous
What bank loans are practically interest free and don't have to be repaid until you're earning 15,000 a year?! :rofl:

So you receive money from the government instead of from your parents. You're still relying on someone other than yourself to get you through university. That makes you no better than those who get money from their parents.

Not quite!
I doubt that those students who have parents picking up bills for tuition fess and/or accommodation will have to pay it back, unlike those with the student loans.
Reply 82
more adventurous
But surely the majority of parents (especially amongst TSR users) don't receive child benefits? Like I said before, if there's actual financial need, it's understandable.

I disagree, in most cases. Most people (I imagine) actually WANT to move out. Very few people want to live under their parents' roof longer than is necessary.

I don't know if someone has said this already but Child Benefit is a non-means tested benefit, meaning that all parents are entitled to it. So, once children reach the age of 16 (or 18 uf they carry on with their education), that's seventy-odd pounds gone... so parents, as well as losing part of their income, have to carry on paying for an adult to live? Not right.
Reply 83
AerisYuna
that is far too much, I consider £50 to be fair

£12.50 per week!?

Lets see, a decent round at the shops (for one person) will cost around £20-25 per week. Unless you like to eat those packets of noodles from Somerfield that cost 8p. For £12.50 you could eat alot
thesard
I don't know if someone has said this already but Child Benefit is a non-means tested benefit, meaning that all parents are entitled to it. So, once children reach the age of 16 (or 18 uf they carry on with their education), that's seventy-odd pounds gone... so parents, as well as losing part of their income, have to carry on paying for an adult to live? Not right.

Didn't somebody remind these people before they had children that raising children costs money?

If you want to spend 100% of your income on yourself, DON'T HAVE CHILDREN. Or if you do, don't start bitching the day they turn 18. :rolleyes:
more adventurous
Didn't somebody remind these people before they had children that raising children costs money?

If you want to spend 100% of your income on yourself, DON'T HAVE CHILDREN. Or if you do, don't start bitching the day they turn 18. :rolleyes:

but they r not 'children' at 18...
Reply 86
more adventurous

Parents don't want to spend 100% of their income on themselves, they just just don't want to pay for so-called independents.

Fact is, alot of university students want independence, but want mummy and daddy to pay for it.

EDIT: are you implying that children have the right to scrounge off mummy and daddy forever?
Reply 87
Clubber Lang

Legally they are :smile:

Well, before 18. You get what I mean.
Reply 88
Clubber Lang

That's so damned obvious that I forgot to mention it... :cool:
Reply 89
i don't pay rent yet as i've just left college but as i'm living at home for uni i think i'll have to pay something then - it's only fair i think as i would otherwise have free everything (food, electric, water etc...) plus i think it would be good as i would learn not everything in life is free
Clubber Lang

They're still your children until you die. Whether they're children in the eyes of the law is entirely irrelevant to family relations.

Having children is a lifelong commitment, not an 18 year one. Family members help each other out during times of need, that's what they do. My parents make thousands of times more money than I do since I'm still a student and they've been working for several decades; therefore, they would get no satisfaction out of taking my money and they pay for my education. They WANT me to be educated, so they're happy to do it. I'll do the same for my children. My mother is 52 and if she needed financial assistance, her parents would be happy to help her, since they have much more money than they need. And they're FAMILY. You don't stop being family when you turn 18. You lot must have really poor family values if you think a parent/child relationship suddenly transforms into a landlord/tenant relationship the second you turn 18.

In conclusion:

Fair enough if you're working full-time.
Fair enough if there's actual financial need in your family.

But if you're in full-time education and there's no actual financial need, then it's a ridiculous abuse of the family system for your parents to expect you to give them money.
Reply 91
more adventurous
They're still your children until you die. Whether they're children in the eyes of the law is entirely irrelevant to family relations.

Having children is a lifelong commitment, not an 18 year one. Family members help each other out during times of need, that's what they do. My parents make thousands of times more money than I do since I'm still a student and they've been working for several decades; therefore, they would get no satisfaction out of taking my money and they pay for my education. They WANT me to be educated, so they're happy to do it. I'll do the same for my children. My mother is 52 and if she needed financial assistance, her parents would be happy to help her, since they have much more money than they need. And they're FAMILY. You don't stop being family when you turn 18. You lot must have really poor family values if you think a parent/child relationship suddenly transforms into a landlord/tenant relationship the second you turn 18.

In conclusion:

But if you're in full-time education and there's no actual financial need, then it's a ridiculous abuse of the family system for your parents to expect you to give them money.

It's abuse of the family system to expect your parents to keep on paying for you while you go out and get pissed with your mates. I fully understand what you mean, but a child should not be a lifelong financial commitment. Children, at some point, have to learn to live in the real world and their parents are not helping if they are hiding the true cost of life by giving them beer money (by way of letting them live rent-free).

You talk about 18 years like it's 18 minutes; it is a long time to commit to something. The vast majority of parents welcome their parental responsibility and will sacrifice even their own happiness for their children.

I know this because I sacrifice money, time, energy, my social life and plenty of career/life opportunities to make sure that my son is well-fed and happy.

It is not alot to ask of your children to take some of the burden by paying their own way. It's not even unreasonable, let alone "cruel".
Children, at some point, have to learn to live in the real world and their parents are not helping if they are hiding the true cost of life by giving them beer money (by way of letting them live rent-free).

Is while they're in full-time education the best time for this?

If I was a parent, I'd rather my children concentrate on their education AND be able to save their wages so they could move out after their education is finished. And sure, they can get pissed with their mates if they want, provided it's with their own money. I'd want them to have fun during the best years of their life.

Or, I could charge them rent while they're still at uni, not enabling them to save their wages, and therefore making it more likely that they'll stay at home after uni. Hmmmm.

You talk about 18 years like it's 18 minutes; it is a long time to commit to something.

And nobody's forced to do it in the UK. There are free contraception and free abortions available. Don't want to commit to 18 years+? Don't!
Reply 93
more adventurous
Is while they're in full-time education the best time for this?

If I was a parent, I'd rather my children concentrate on their education AND be able to save their wages so they could move out after their education is finished. And sure, they can get pissed with their mates if they want, provided it's with their own money. I'd want them to have fun during the best years of their life.

Or, I could charge them rent while they're still at uni, not enabling them to save their wages, and therefore making it more likely that they'll stay at home after uni. Hmmmm.

And nobody's forced to do it in the UK. There are free contraception and free abortions available. Don't want to commit to 18 years+? Don't!

I will commit my whole life to my son... I just won't give him handouts forever.

I agree somewhat with allowing your children to learn the ropes while they're in university. But my mind is made up by the fact that so many 'children' assume that they're entitled to a share of their parent's income, no matter what their age.
Who thinks they're entitled to a share of their parent's income when they're working full-time?
Reply 95
more adventurous
Who thinks they're entitled to a share of their parent's income when they're working full-time?

About half of my class at university! Do you think that I am exaggerating? They honestly think that their parents are there to cough up.
more adventurous

In conclusion:

Good for you if your parents make lots of money and your grandparents are "multi millionaires" but not every one has rich parents.

Your parents obviously don't need your money and my parents probably wouldn't expect me to pay them rent etc if they were loaded too but they would expect something out of me. My parents don't expect money from me while I live with them during holidays but they do expect me to get a job and to help around the house. I think though if you are working and living with your parents as an adult that it is only polite and respectful to at least offer to pay your way.

You say you can only understand 'children' paying housekeeping if there is a real financial need - could you explain please? For example is it only parents on the dole or working under a certain amount of hours a week who should ask their children for money?
more adventurous

In conclusion:

I completely agree with you there. I'm in the same situation myself. My parents will pay for my university education, because they want be to be successful and they value education. They'll pay for my tuition fees, while I'll pay for the rest - living expenses, through a student loan.

You're 18th birthday isn't the day you stop being your parent's child. Seems like a lot of people would love to have "cute babies" and the like, and once their child is 18, lose almost all their ties with them apart from the odd Christmas dinner.

For the record, when I'm earning I'll definitely pay a share to them. I'll also be there when they're pensioners and need my moral and financial support. That's how families should work. I won't say to them: "You're an adult, you get your pension, live in the real world". No, when they need me, I'll be there for them.
CheesyBeans
Good for you if your parents make lots of money and your grandparents are "multi millionaires" but not every one has rich parents.

Your parents obviously don't need your money and my parents probably wouldn't expect me to pay them rent etc if they were loaded too but they would expect something out of me. My parents don't expect money from me while I live with them during holidays but they do expect me to get a job and to help around the house. I think though if you are working and living with your parents as an adult that it is only polite and respectful to at least offer to pay your way.

You say you can only understand 'children' paying housekeeping if there is a real financial need - could you explain please? For example is it only parents on the dole or working under a certain amount of hours a week who should ask their children for money?

Yeah, not everyone has rich parents. Myself included. Where did I say I did? :rolleyes:

If parents can support their family comfortably without asking their kids for money, then there is no financial need for the purposes of my argument. If they're asking their kids for money because they want the money and not because they need the money, then there is not financial need.
Profesh
Quite, and it never ceases to amaze me; how many parents haven't the least compunction about adopting such a reprehensibly cynical, if not wholly unethical, position which is tantamount to profiting from their own offspring. My mother has told me she expects only that I shouldn't leave her at a deficit; which strikes me as perfectly reasonable, and will entail a contribution in the region of but twenty or thirty pounds per week.

I agree.

This is the first time i've heard (or seen) parents charging their kids to stay at home. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending