The Student Room Group

Will unis take me seriously with Film Studies?

Hi so I got an A in As film studies and I was just wondering if the top unis count this as a subject.my other 2 subjects are History(B) and English lit (c)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

That depends what you'd be looking at studying at uni. If you're looking at film studies courses, then perfect! Physics, not so much.
Reply 2
Depends on what you want to do at uni
unis only shun general studies, but it really depends what you want to do...? what do you want to do?
if its not film related, then you will need to do well in the other subjects more importantly...
idk how it works anymore but you should be able to bump those grades up to get into a v good course
Original post by minjinoor
unis only shun general studies, but it really depends what you want to do...? what do you want to do?

Don't forget Critical Thinking!
Reply 6
Reply 7
They will as long as it's a Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Reply 8
Yeah hopefully they predict me AAB as the history and English are new spec so don't count to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Gnatt27

History, you should be fine as long as you make sure to get a nice solid A2 grade in that subject, preferably your strongest.

Law... eeeeh, you're pushing it a bit more there. You'll at the very least need to maximise English Lit and preferably also History as much as absolutely possible.

Original post by Gnatt27
What is a BA?Posted from TSR Mobile

A BA is the course you'll be taking if doing, say, History. If you're doing Law, that would instead very specifically be a LLB. That latter is a trickier path to go down, but it depends what sort of law you're interested in as a career.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Flame Alchemist
History, you should be fine as long as you make sure to get a nice solid A2 grade, preferably your strongest.

Law... eeeeh, you're pushing it a bit more there. You'll at the very least need to maximise English Lit and preferably also History as much as absolutely possible.

This guy knows what he's talking about
Reply 12
Ah okay thanks so would AAB in film history and English lit be competitive for law at RG unis? If not I will probably definitely go history then conversion course for law rather than end up in a crappy uni doing law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27
Ah okay thanks so would AAB in film history and English lit be competitive for law at RG unis? If not I will probably definitely go history then conversion course for law rather than end up in a crappy uni doing law

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're spot on that there's very little point doing law at a not very prestigious uni; it suffers from this perhaps more than any other subject. Sad truth.

AAB / ABB is pretty much the general benchmark for the majority of medium-high ranking unis.
Reply 14
Ah so it refers to any subject that includes essays then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
So would that include unis like Liverpool and Queens Mary London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27
Ah so it refers to any subject that includes essays then

Posted from TSR Mobile

What, BA? Sooorrrrtt oooffff, it distinguishes an 'art' subject from a 'science' (BSc). The line, however, is very blurred. Psychology courses, a science subject, are extremely essay-heavy. For other sciences, your mileage may vary.

If anything, there's an increasing tendency for courses to just be their own thing, especially where engineering in a general sense is concerned. BEng/MEng, BComp/MComp etc.

Original post by Gnatt27
So would that include unis like Liverpool and Queens Mary London?Posted from TSR Mobile

AAB / ABB are the example offers you'll see pretty much everywhere. Lower unis will instead go for less than this, often expressing requirements more generally as a mere UCAS Points threshold. Ultimately, you'll just have to look at all the unis which interest you for each of their specific requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gnatt27
Hi so I got an A in As film studies and I was just wondering if the top unis count this as a subject.my other 2 subjects are History(B) and English lit (c)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

Are you planning to study in London? Come visit us this coming Open Day
Check our BA Digital Film Production course and see the requirements for yourself!
Check us out Ravensbourne :biggrin:

Good luck!
Ahlia :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Umm that's a crap uni no thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27
Umm that's a crap uni no thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha. Burned.

In response to OP, film studies is a weaker subject that will slightly reduce your options for top universities and some STEM courses.

Quick Reply

Latest