Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by theponderer)
    Veganism would be better for the environment, but worse for all those humans already nearly starving
    1.5 acres can produce 37,000 pounds of plant-based food whereas 1.5 acres can only produce 375 pounds of meat. Veganism would provide more food at a cheaper rate.

(Original post by Marked Target)
    I would seriously disagree with the statement that its better for people's health. However, I've been that argument before so i suppose its not worth it.

I would point out that the dairy and egg industry is just as bad, if not worse, than the meat industry.

EDIT: To those who don't do it for health reasons, why do you object to buying meat from ethical sources? I would argue that doing so would be more likely to encourage a change in the meat industry than not buying it at all.
    I'm too tired at this time for the health debate too however if you're interested I'd recommend giving "How not to die" by Dr Michael McGregor a read.

I do agree about the egg and dairy industry being just as bad, if not worse. I eat very few products containing dairy and drink almond milk. However when I do have eggs or dairy I ensure it's free range and more ethically sourced. I'd like to eventually cut these out completely though.

And i think for most people a great thing to do would be to purchase meat from more ethical sources.

(Original post by Moura)
    It is hard to find ethically farmed meat and there are those who would say killing something to eat can never be ethical (which i can understand even if i disagree).

I do strongly believe though that the path to removing animal cruelty is not a refusal to eat meat, rather, demanding ethical meat. There has been a movement towards this (not by vegans, rather, just generally) but most people don't know what the various badges and certificates mean (and the answer is not much).

I've met 2 vegans and 5 or so vegetarians in my life. Of these, 1 of the vegans would never fail to comment when someone ate meat and would make a point of their meal. 1 of the vegetarians did so as well. So it isn't all of them and i would never be predisposed to dislike someone because of this nor would I ever even mention it (this is a thread about it so I think its pretty reasonable to discuss it here) unless brought up by someone else.

It is annoying to have someone make a snide comment when you're eating. Its incredibly annoying (esp when you disagree with them). One of the vegans i knew would comment if you ate a chocolate bar because it contained milk. Its unnecessary.

I think you're right that some people are probably bothered by it because they feel bad inside but nobody wants to be bothered with ethics when they're eating - food is tasty so let people enjoy it.

Hi i would appreciate it greatly if you could complete my survey for a project based on animal cruelty in the makeup and medical industry, all feedback would be appreciated and if you could link friends and family to take the survey i would be so grateful. thank you. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/X95WK8F

Vegans are like atheists.

they need to stfu and get a ****ing life!

*goes back to bucket of fried chicken*

Damn vegans, trying to save animals and the environment for future generations and caring and educating themselves about their health.
    Hate em
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.