Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Career in physics?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

My Main questions is(I shall provide you with a ton of details below the question to help you make a more justified answer):

Should I study physics and subsequently become a physics(irrelevant of branch)?

Ok so some info:

I am v.good at the req subjects and I absolutely love physics!I am considering a career in theoretical physics...
    I currently go to a top grammar school and am going my GCSE in the upcoming year(Y11).

My goal is to ultimately do very well in GCSE and A-levels and thus study Physics at Oxford university...I want to study physics undergrad and preferably do a PhD at Oxford univeristy(As PhDs are useful for top physicist careers from what I have read).

My goal after that is to work at CERN or NASA or other reputable major organisation that employ physics(Could you please name a few)..

I also have far fetched goals which I assume all physiatrist have but I doubt they're relevant for this question(cough...Noble prize)

I am predicted A stats informally by teachers for all science and maths and a bunch of other subjects with As only in English...

Also what A levels should I take?
    I was considering physics,Biology,chemistry,maths and further maths...is this a good choice or should I do computing instead of biology?

Also what general guidance would you provide as all information is appreciated?

My current branch considerations include astrophysics/quantum physics/ETC.,

Detailed answers would be of great help!

P.Slease don't hate for some ambitions like going to Oxford and others(I know there are some popped who like to)...Also please can I have sensible answers.

Also additionally my dad is a surgeon and he and my mum and persuading me into a career in surgery....It is not that I'm not interested as I also like medicine but They list all advantage of medicine like pay and respect and regardless I am very confused!?

Ok first off you need to calm down. You're thinking too far ahead which is good to an extent but this is taking it a bit far. Plans change all the time because life and circumstances get in the way. Focus on your GCSEs and getting good grades. Then think about whether you still want to do physics or anything else and work out what subjects and grades you need. Then you can start thinking about which uni based on which courses cover what. Masters/PhD degrees and a research career can come later.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.