The Student Room Group

A revision question in Psychology, in need of someone to discuss with!!!

Hello. So I'm new to the forum. Haven't had much talking with anybody else yet :P. I joined the forum basically because I am revising for the A-level and would love to have some friends who I can revise with. Nice to know you! :smile:

I'm working on Psychology and my exam board is CIE. I've been thinking about this one question on Veale and Riley mirror gazing study. The question asks me to explain why one of the two matched variables, age and sex, might have been important to the study.

I understand that some variables are matched because similarity in certain features of the participants are crucial to the study, i.e. some inborn traits of the participants may influence the results. Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition. As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. My questions include:

What does women's potential higher higher vulnerability to BDD (suppose there is) have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients?

Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

Would love to hear your ideas so much! My goal is an a so I really really want to answer every question as thoroughly as I can :smile:. Thanks a bunch!

P/S: I'm also studying Sociology :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by A.Caster
Hello. So I'm new to the forum. Haven't had much talking with anybody else yet :P. I joined the forum basically because I am revising for the A-level and would love to have some friends who I can revise with. Nice to know you! :smile:

I'm working on Psychology and my exam board is CIE. I've been thinking about this one question on Veale and Riley mirror gazing study. The question asks me to explain why one of the two matched variables, age and sex, might have been important to the study.

I understand that some variables are matched because similarity in certain features of the participants are crucial to the study, i.e. some inborn traits of the participants may influence the results. Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition. As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. My questions include:

What does women's potential higher higher vulnerability to BDD (suppose there is) have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients?

Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

Would love to hear your ideas so much! My goal is an a so I really really want to answer every question as thoroughly as I can :smile:. Thanks a bunch!

Hiya! Welcome to TSR :h: I've moved this thread into the Psychology forum - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile:
So basically, the whole psychology forum is you asking the same question multiple times.

great.
Reply 4
Original post by Findlay6
So basically, the whole psychology forum is you asking the same question multiple times.

great.

Yeah I know that. It was because I was trying to post the question and for some reason the web kept telling me that I had failed. So I tried multiple times. And about 10 mins after that I found out that they were all posted!!! I looked to see how I could delete so that only one post would be there but yeah you cannot delete your own thread in the forum. Sorry!
Reply 5
Original post by Fox Corner
Hiya! Welcome to TSR :h: I've moved this thread into the Psychology forum - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile:

Thanksssss :colondollar:
Original post by A.Caster

I don't know anything about this study but you haven't mentioned the most basic reason why control groups or variable matching is used. See http://stattrek.com/experiments/experimental-design.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by iammichealjackson
I don't know anything about this study but you haven't mentioned the most basic reason why control groups or variable matching is used. See http://stattrek.com/experiments/experimental-design.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending