The Student Room Group

24+ Advanced Learning Loan

I've been to Uni twice, dropped out twice - frustratingly.
I understand that I am able to get 4 years total loans, so does that mean I won't be able to get Student finance for Years 2 and 3 if I apply for an Advanced Learning Loan for Year 1?

Thanks
Original post by Clickeyyy
I understand that I am able to get 4 years total loans, so does that mean I won't be able to get Student finance for Years 2 and 3 if I apply for an Advanced Learning Loan for Year 1?

Thanks

The Advanced learning loan is for FE courses/study (so A levles/access courses etc) - and only covers tuition fees. This isn't the same scheme as HE student finance for degree level study.
Reply 2
Original post by Clickeyyy

Thanks

As above, you can't get the 24+ loan for uni-level study.

The entitlement to SF isn't a straightforward four years. The calculation for undergrad Student Finance is:

Number of years of your new degree (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of full SF entitlement

For the purpose of this calculation, partial years are counted as full years.

If you did one year or less at both of your previous unis, your calculation is 3-2+1=2 years of SF entitlement remaining. You would get this for years 2 and 3 of a new degree and you would have to self-fund your first year (including tuition fees).

If something beyond your control caused either of your previous dropouts, you may be able to claw back a year's SF entitlement through their Compelling Personal Reasons process. It would have to be something very severe, such as a serious illness or close family bereavement. You would need written proof to support your CPR claim from an independent third party who was involved with your problem, such as a GP, counsellor, consultant etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending