Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AS Psychology CIE - a revision question. Let's discuss!

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hello. So I'm new to the forum. Haven't had much talking with anybody else yet :P. I joined the forum basically because I am revising for the A-level and would love to have some friends who I can revise with. Nice to know you!

I'm working on Psychology and my exam board is CIE. I've been thinking about this one question on Veale and Riley mirror gazing study. The question asks me to explain why one of the two matched variables, age and sex, might have been important to the study.

I understand that some variables are matched because similarity in certain features of the participants are crucial to the study, i.e. some inborn traits of the participants may influence the results. Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition. As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. But what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients? By the way, this is related to another question of mine and this exactly is the reason why I cannot answer the first question. Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

Would love to hear your ideas so much! My goal is an a so I really really want to answer every question as thoroughly as I can . Thanks a bunch!

P/S: I'm also studying Sociology

Hiya How are you? Hope you don't mind me asking how you're finding the course? Are you also doing CIE Sociology? If so how do you manage lol because Sociology just has so much content. I hate the textbook especially as it's just filled with ridiculous amounts of information. I don't know what's relevant and what's not relevant. I don't want to copy word for word but I have no clue to what's important lol. Psychology's been easier to get around in terms of knowing what is needed and not in my opinion. By the way, do you have to know the dates of sociologists? Same with psychology? I'm guessing you've already taken the AS or A2 exam also
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.