The Student Room Group

AS Psychology CIE Veale and Riley mirror gazing study - Let's discuss!

Hello. So I'm new to the forum. Haven't had much talking with anybody else yet :P. I joined the forum basically because I am revising for the A-level and would love to have some friends who I can revise with. Nice to know you!

I'm working on Psychology and my exam board is CIE. I've been thinking about this one question on Veale and Riley mirror gazing study. The question asks me to explain why one of the two matched variables, age and sex, might have been important to the study.

I understand that some variables are matched because similarity in certain features of the participants are crucial to the study, i.e. some inborn traits of the participants may influence the results. Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition. As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. But what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients? By the way, this is related to another question of mine and this exactly is the reason why I cannot answer the first question. Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

Would love to hear your ideas so much! My goal is an a so I really really want to answer every question as thoroughly as I can . Thanks a bunch!

P/S: I'm also studying Sociology
what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients?

Perhaps the gender of the BDD patient influences the function, effects or motivation of mirror gazing.
for example, maybe..
The motivation for mirror gazing is different for females compared to males.

Therefore, gender differences would result in a need for control.

A control is needed in most studies so we are able to determine what is ''normal''. If we had no control group we wouldn't know whether the results from the BDD patients are what the general population would display.

I don't want to go to into this as it is down to you to help yourself - I would advise reading up on some articles on BDD and gender, also noting their methodological choices.
Reply 2
Original post by natalie427
what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients?

Perhaps the gender of the BDD patient influences the function, effects or motivation of mirror gazing.
for example, maybe..
The motivation for mirror gazing is different for females compared to males.

Therefore, gender differences would result in a need for control.

A control is needed in most studies so we are able to determine what is ''normal''. If we had no control group we wouldn't know whether the results from the BDD patients are what the general population would display.

I don't want to go to into this as it is down to you to help yourself - I would advise reading up on some articles on BDD and gender, also noting their methodological choices.

Thank you! I just realised how stupid I sounded as I asked the question :biggrin:. Please send me readings that you think are helpful :smile:. Thanks again!
Original post by A.Caster
Thank you! I just realised how stupid I sounded as I asked the question :biggrin:. Please send me readings that you think are helpful :smile:. Thanks again!

It's not my area of expertise so unfortunately I have no papers on it and I'm not sure about what books would be helpful. A quick search on google I'm sure would give you at least something to work with its quite a popular area of psychology :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by natalie427
It's not my area of expertise so unfortunately I have no papers on it and I'm not sure about what books would be helpful. A quick search on google I'm sure would give you at least something to work with its quite a popular area of psychology :smile:

Thanks for your suggestion. How come did I not think of researching a bit about BDD and gender! :v.
By the way, what are you studying? :smile:
Original post by A.Caster
Thanks for your suggestion. How come did I not think of researching a bit about BDD and gender! :v.
By the way, what are you studying? :smile:

Well I am just about to finish my masters in Forensic Psychology, just in the depths of my dissertation and personal and professional development portfolio as we speak. fun fun fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending