The Student Room Group

Can postgraduate university see what/where you applied to for undergraduate?

Hi,

I'm applying for a Masters degree and I'm wondering whether a university can see what course and university I applied for via UCAS for my undergraduate degree?

Thanks guys!
I doubt it. The systems are different though they may have you on file if you went there.
Normally they'd ask anyway?

Doesn't matter for me as I went to the same Univeristy for both my Masters and my undergrad :smile:
Do you mean all the unis you applied for (including those rejected/declined) at undergrad? Almost certainly not. Have you got a particular concern about them knowing?
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
Do you mean all the unis you applied for (including those rejected/declined) at undergrad? Almost certainly not. Have you got a particular concern about them knowing?

I think at the interview they'll ask why I want to study that course instead of what I did at undergraduate. Initially, I had wanted to study the course course that I'm applying for now at undergraduate level but I didn't think I'd get in. So I applied for a similar course but missed out on the grades so thought i'd do the current course and take the long route into the master's course - man that sounds cryptic. Does it make sense?

I'm wondering if they'd find out that I applied for a different (similar) course instead of the one that I'm applying for now?

Thanks again
Original post by MrBean1994
I think at the interview they'll ask why I want to study that course instead of what I did at undergraduate. Initially, I had wanted to study the course course that I'm applying for now at undergraduate level but I didn't think I'd get in. So I applied for a similar course but missed out on the grades so thought i'd do the current course and take the long route into the master's course - man that sounds cryptic. Does it make sense?

I'm wondering if they'd find out that I applied for a different (similar) course instead of the one that I'm applying for now?

Thanks again

No they wouldn't. THere's no mechanism for them to do that and they wouldn't bother anyway.
Reply 6

Thanks again

You could always tell them the truth. You've wanted to do this Masters for a long time and took the best route you could given the circumstances. It certainly shows tenacity with regards to the Masters. Missed A Level grades for an undergrad degree aren't going to be an issue if you now have the necessary degree grade to get into the Masters.

Thanks again

As long as the UG and PG courses are vaguely related and have a logical progression the uni really won't care what you did before. Certainly not what you applied for at UG. PG admissions aren't an inquisition - unis have much better things to do with their time than analyse students' motivations 3+ years previously. Go for it and apply. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending