The Student Room Group

Should I quit my part time job?

I've had a job at a fish and chip shop since March, when I was in AS at college, and I'm about to head into A2.
At first, I was working 4 hours on a Saturday, but since then I've been moved to a different store owned by the company and I have no guaranteed figure in
terms of hours, and I have worked between 15-30 hours a week, and they need at least 14 from me even when college starts. This means doing 5pm starts after finishing college at 3.30, maybe twice a week, while working every weekend both days.

I know it seems worth quitting, since I have no social time or study time. Also, my results were AAC, which is down from all As in the mocks that I sat BEFORE this job was a thing.

Working I this particular location, I also receive a lot of abuse from customers which has really hurt me at times, and I don't fit in well with the locals and staff who can take a lot on the chin compared to the sensitive person I am. This has led to a lot of mistakes being made at work.

Money is a massive issue though, not only because I need it to have a life, but NOT having it is psychologically draining to a concerning extent. Going from earning a decent amount per week to ZERO will be crushing. But the feeling of being able to go home for a night after college will feel amazing.

The feeling of nervousness that haunts me whenever I even dream of telling my manager that I want to leave scars me massively, since she's herself is always appearing stressed out and It feels as though she would get mad or something.

I didn't want to write such a long piece of writing but that's basically everything. Should I quit?
In my opinion you could continue for a few weeks maximum just to be sure about your decision but I'd say yes, it sounds like more unnecessary stress and time and the fact you are not enjoying it either shows its not worth it. You could try and apply for another Saturday job, somewhere where they can confirm shorter hours in advance- if money is the only reason why you are keeping on this job. You shouldn't have to feel that way about your manager either, and if you want to quit you could even phone up or email so you don't have to be face to face- explain your situation and (hopefully) she'll understand and if not, it's not your problem anyway. good luck and good luck with A2 :smile:
Quit. Your A-levels are far more important than a few hundred pounds. You don't want to be thinking what if at the end of your A2s
Original post by jazz_xox_
In my opinion you could continue for a few weeks maximum just to be sure about your decision but I'd say yes, it sounds like more unnecessary stress and time and the fact you are not enjoying it either shows its not worth it. You could try and apply for another Saturday job, somewhere where they can confirm shorter hours in advance- if money is the only reason why you are keeping on this job. You shouldn't have to feel that way about your manager either, and if you want to quit you could even phone up or email so you don't have to be face to face- explain your situation and (hopefully) she'll understand and if not, it's not your problem anyway. good luck and good luck with A2 :smile:

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help
Original post by Mrs House
Quit. Your A-levels are far more important than a few hundred pounds. You don't want to be thinking what if at the end of your A2s

Thank you kindly, I'll start writing my notice.
Original post by danielargument
I've had a job at a fish and chip shop since March, when I was in AS at college, and I'm about to head into A2.
At first, I was working 4 hours on a Saturday, but since then I've been moved to a different store owned by the company and I have no guaranteed figure in
terms of hours, and I have worked between 15-30 hours a week, and they need at least 14 from me even when college starts. This means doing 5pm starts after finishing college at 3.30, maybe twice a week, while working every weekend both days.

I know it seems worth quitting, since I have no social time or study time. Also, my results were AAC, which is down from all As in the mocks that I sat BEFORE this job was a thing.

Working I this particular location, I also receive a lot of abuse from customers which has really hurt me at times, and I don't fit in well with the locals and staff who can take a lot on the chin compared to the sensitive person I am. This has led to a lot of mistakes being made at work.

Money is a massive issue though, not only because I need it to have a life, but NOT having it is psychologically draining to a concerning extent. Going from earning a decent amount per week to ZERO will be crushing. But the feeling of being able to go home for a night after college will feel amazing.

The feeling of nervousness that haunts me whenever I even dream of telling my manager that I want to leave scars me massively, since she's herself is always appearing stressed out and It feels as though she would get mad or something.

I didn't want to write such a long piece of writing but that's basically everything. Should I quit?

Look for other jobs. Then you will have another job to go to if you leave there and you will still have money. A lot of places have started advertising for christmas temps now so thats a possibility.

Quick Reply

Latest