Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE Remarks

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I was just got my GCSE results this last week and was largely content with them apart from a select few; this wasn't for any particular reason other than I was close to the boundaries, really.

First of, in English Language (AQA) I got an A grade (263UMS) and an A* was 270. This translates to only 2 marks in the actual exam I took, and I think, quite achievable with a remark as English is, for the most part, subjective to each marker.

Second was Biology (OCR 21st) in which I got an A (348UMS) and an A* is 360. I'm not really too confident about remarking this one even though in the exam I would most likely get remarked, B7, the extra 12UMS I would need is only 4 marks. However this is after I originally got 45/60 in the exam, or 80UMS, and Sciences tend to have the borders for marking more clearly defined than a subject such as English.

Last was Computing (OCR), which I got an overall B in (237UMS). An A grade equals 270UMS. I was predicted by teachers and myself for an overall A* and got an A and A* in each controlled assessment, respectively. However, I seem to have messed up completely on the final exam, receiving a C grade, or 80UMS out of 120. I would only need 2 marks in the exam to get an overall A grade and I'm pretty confident that this is possible as I don't really feel I did mess up the exam and had people agree with my answers - leading me to believe my original 32 marks out of 80 is, in a way, unjust.

I know about the recent changes to how remarks take place and how the difficulty of having a mark increased, has also increased. I also know about the fact that my grade can go down, just as much as it can go up, but I feel that since I am in the upper boundary of each grade that I currently have, this is unlikely.

As a reference, I don't actually want to take these subjects further, and I know it makes me seem petty, but it's more to do with the principle of 'what if I didn't ask this question?'.

I appreciate your time reading this and hope you can advise me on which options I should take.

Hey there
    Let's start with English. 2 marks in a subject like that, with fairly lenient mark schemes, I'd say is definately worth a shot.

Biology however, I'm not sure. I did AQA but I'm in a similar situation (I currently stand at 3 UMS off an A in Biology). But many people are debating whether or not to do it with the sciences and mathematics in particular due to two factors: the fairly rigid, unforgiving mark schemes of these papers and the new changes making it harder for a mark to change (that's without factoring in the chances of it being a positive change!) If you're feeling lucky, go ahead but if I were you (especially with no plans to carry on with the subject), I'd leave it at the very respectable, high end A grade it's at. Luckily, my school is paying for a mark review because I'm so close, (3 UMS is like 1 mark) so I have a nice chance and won't lose any money if lady luck isn't on my side

Now, for computing. I'm in the same boat. 237 UMS and 240 was an A. As you said it isn't many marks, and there are some questions on the paper that could be more lenient with marks (the 6 mark questions being the main ones). I got 93 UMS on the exam and I needed 96 for an A and therefore an A overall, but I'm not sure of the chances. If you've got the money to spare though, go for it.
    Sorry I can't offer much on Computing, but let me know if you hear anything

Thank you for replying! I agree with you and think I'll forget about Biology altogether and just push for Computing and English (especially if I get my school to pay for mine, too😄).

Thanks again and good luck with all your remarks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Torticci)
    Thank you for replying! I agree with you and think I'll forget about Biology altogether and just push for Computing and English (especially if I get my school to pay for mine, too😄).

Thanks again and good luck with all your remarks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    New regulations disallow the subjectivity of different markers to come into play with remarks. Your mark can only change if one examiner believes your answer fits into a different band. Sorry.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.