The Student Room Group

My sixth form journey - all or nothing

Scroll to see replies

Update:
Now doing wider reading on Sociology going for an A* - focussing on radical feminism, liberal feminism et cetera...

Loving economics at the moment! I find it really interesting and need to find further reading on it ASAP.

Business is more bearable, starting to enjoy it much more and I am contributing lots to bring the class alive!

EPQ is going well on Project-Q, today we will update our initial ideas page.

Doing the Young Enterprise scheme to boost the corporate side of my personal statement and CV - will also get a law internship next summer too.
Update:
Really enjoyed this week, I have been studying for 3/4 hours everyday extra as our recommended amount of revision time. I work through break + lunch and two hours after school, so when I go home I don't have to do anything. My biggest problem now is sorting out my EPQ project. Now that I want to study Law at University, I'll need to express an interest in the subject and besides from getting an internship - my personal statement will be looking very weak. As a result, I will be discussing a potential solution tomorrow with my supervisor - perhaps a law EPQ? Any suggestions?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Update:
Really enjoyed this week, I have been studying for 3/4 hours everyday extra as our recommended amount of revision time. I work through break + lunch and two hours after school, so when I go home I don't have to do anything. My biggest problem now is sorting out my EPQ project. Now that I want to study Law at University, I'll need to express an interest in the subject and besides from getting an internship - my personal statement will be looking very weak. As a result, I will be discussing a potential solution tomorrow with my supervisor - perhaps a law EPQ? Any suggestions?

Hi Mr Taylor,

Sounds like everything is going great at the moment! Keep it up! You'll be on As and A*s for sure.

As for a law EPQ, I could come up with possible suggestions. A friend of mine who went on to study law at Bristol Uni did his EPQ on the works of Cicero and his impact on the law (or something of that sort).

Many people - according to the examiners reports - do an EPQ on the death penalty and whether or not it is feasible within our society, so I would avoid that if I were you.

One suggestion I would recommend came from an actual Oxbridge Law interview question I had a look at with my sister (who also wants to study Law). For an EPQ, you could phrase it to the question "To what extent can the Law be considered just and effective?" Really interesting question, but if your worried its a bit 'broad', you might want to consider using a specific form of legislation, e.g. (I know this is not a great example) the Immigration Act 2016. So an EPQ question might go like "To what extent can the Immigration Act (2016) be considered a just and effective law?" Or, you could select a couple of pieces of legislation to talk about.

Hope it at least gives you an idea of what to do your EPQ on!

All the best,

King Haribo
Update: will do my EPQ analysing Britain before joining the EU and afterwards - therefore, I will have lots of secondary and primary literature to draw upon during my essay.

We don't start EPQ till after half term :frown: next week is assessment week so i am very scared!!
Original post by King Haribo
Hi Mr Taylor,

Sounds like everything is going great at the moment! Keep it up! You'll be on As and A*s for sure.

As for a law EPQ, I could come up with possible suggestions. A friend of mine who went on to study law at Bristol Uni did his EPQ on the works of Cicero and his impact on the law (or something of that sort).

Many people - according to the examiners reports - do an EPQ on the death penalty and whether or not it is feasible within our society, so I would avoid that if I were you.

One suggestion I would recommend came from an actual Oxbridge Law interview question I had a look at with my sister (who also wants to study Law). For an EPQ, you could phrase it to the question "To what extent can the Law be considered just and effective?" Really interesting question, but if your worried its a bit 'broad', you might want to consider using a specific form of legislation, e.g. (I know this is not a great example) the Immigration Act 2016. So an EPQ question might go like "To what extent can the Immigration Act (2016) be considered a just and effective law?" Or, you could select a couple of pieces of legislation to talk about.

Hope it at least gives you an idea of what to do your EPQ on!

All the best,

King Haribo

King Haribo, it is such wonderful to see you follow my journey, thank you so much!!!

I have spoken to my supervisor yesterday and she has suggested me to do it on economic policy with my focus being on education. This way, I will be able to analyse legislation (a very important aspect of law, which even you suggested!) and economic policies. My initial plan was to do it with Brexit/EU type - so I am not swaying away from it too badly! (just making it more specific) I will be applying for law internships over every holiday, so that way I will further show my interest in law and I recommend your sister to do it too! :biggrin: Thanks once again for your advice, which has helped me focus on specific areas in my EPQ :smile:

Original post by Theworriedbanana
We don't start EPQ till after half term :frown: next week is assessment week so i am very scared!!

We're still at the 'initial ideas' page and we have to get our ideas approved before we can continue (don't worry) :h:
Assessment week already? We have mini exams etc during lessons and for homework, but our formal assessments are coming for another four weeks! What subjects are you studying?
:smile:

We're still at the 'initial ideas' page and we have to get our ideas approved before we can continue (don't worry) :h:
Assessment week already? We have mini exams etc during lessons and for homework, but our formal assessments are coming for another four weeks! What subjects are you studying?

Yeah, it's to check that we are doing the right course, ive already had two of my exams today! And I'm doing english lit, history and politics x
Just wanted to say good luck! I hope everything goes well for you :smile:
:smile:

Yeah, it's to check that we are doing the right course, ive already had two of my exams today! And I'm doing english lit, history and politics x

Oh I get you (kinda) we have already had 'meet the tutor' and we will have 'effort checks' soon. We mainly have essay questions as homework etc to allow our teachers to get a gist of our essay writing so they can help us tweak it in the future, but nothing formal yet.

Nice A level subjects! What are you planning to do afterwards, for example university and if uni, what degree? :biggrin:

Original post by trabajadora
Just wanted to say good luck! I hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Thank you!!:h:
@Marshall Taylor

Yo g

How did your AS go?

are you doing the LNAT
Original post by citibankrec
@Marshall Taylor

Yo g

How did your AS go?

are you doing the LNAT

Just started sixth form about 2 weeks ago now, so haven't done any AS ahaha + we're doing the new system, so no AS exams anymore (all linear and at the end of two years)

Yes, I will be doing the LNAT next year (I think)

Oh I get you (kinda) we have already had 'meet the tutor' and we will have 'effort checks' soon. We mainly have essay questions as homework etc to allow our teachers to get a gist of our essay writing so they can help us tweak it in the future, but nothing formal yet.

Nice A level subjects! What are you planning to do afterwards, for example university and if uni, what degree? :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: and I want to do LLB law at a London university- if not that, then Liverpool or Leicester

Thank you :smile: and I want to do LLB law at a London university- if not that, then Liverpool or Leicester

Ah that's excellent! Aim high :smile: - my Sociology teacher did Law at Liverpool and loved it!

Ah that's excellent! Aim high :smile: - my Sociology teacher did Law at Liverpool and loved it!

Aha really? What made him/her choose a teaching path instead?

Aha really? What made him/her choose a teaching path instead?

I think he found it didn't represent what he wanted to be in life. He's a really happy teacher, so wanted to help others! (awesome, right?!)
Update:Got back our Economics summer homework, I know it doesn't mean much but I got an A and A-, pretty happy with that! I love economics so much, especially behavioural economics and learning about Adam Smith! I find Economics extremely interesting and just can't wait to look forward to the next lesson (apart from when it's difficult of course!)

Sociology is very peculiar, this is the subject i've done the most extra work on at the moment. We had two knowledge tests, one of theory and the other on research methods + positivism etc.. I got 20/23 on the theory test and 38/40 on the research methods test. I feel quite disappointed as I was expecting full marks on both, so I guess I will need to work harder next time!

Business studies is mediocre, very mundane and most of my class are still not opening up to it as much as I experience in other classes. I've done every homework on the day it's set, so am keeping well up to date. Extremely disappointed to only get 4/9 and 9/16 on the 25 mark homework essay questions. Words cannot describe how hard my heart sank. My biggest goal will be to not imitate my classmates and keep ahead of the game! Last year, nobody got an A* in business studies at this sixth form, so over the next two year looks like I'm going to have be the anomaly!

Maths (AS) is very laid back and suits my way of learning maths. Although I am finding core 1 (chpt 2) quite challenging to say the least, I believe if I just get stuck into it and crack on, I should be fine. I only have C1 to do this year, so I have a whole year to learn it/revise it/practice it and ace it!

EPQ, wow! This has been a rollercoaster. I have changed my EPQ question yet again to focus on law/economics (to suit my future university course opportunities)! Now I feel like there will be a lot more secondary literature open to me and I should be okay as long as I read lots!!

We had a talk on Friday during social wellbeing (more like an hour lecture on controversial topics) and this one was on feminism. I do see points of feminism being correct and I do believe it highlights important issues facing women and men today. What I don't understand is why feminists over emphasise gender inequality as the most important social inequality. I found the speaker to convey that everything in the media, on tv and in films were patriachial. I feel like her approach was very anti-male, spending 50 minutes about how every man in the world oppress women and only 10 minutes was on some statistics about men being abused. I found that the biggest flaw in her argument was no solution, but the encouragement of conflict between the two genders and I found her speech very offensive at moments. She tended to assume that all men were out to harm and limit women. Now, don't get me wrong I am all for equality, but for her to highlight gender as the biggest social inequality baffled me when there are thousands of people homeless, unemployed and facing discrimination, whether be it on their status in society, religion or ethnicity. It is assumed that for every 1% global drop in unemployment, 30000 will die within a year and to think that gender is the biggest social inequality worth giving us an one hour lecture one is simply absurd. Her speech was very directed against the males and nearly everyone felt victimised (ironic, right?) including me. Honestly, I was very sad that her opinion of males was very much driven by a childhood experience that was sexist. While I sympathise that this speaker was victimised for her gender in her early years, I do not sympathise with her extreme highlights of sexism every day and how she applied every difference in this word (i.e. Pikachu being male, which is actually the choice of the produces - not every single sexist male, who hates women) against women.

In regards to my studying, I've been staying until 6/7pm everyday this week, just getting homework and extra work done. On Monday, I will finish more homework during my two frees and then sort out my economics and business folders with plastic wallets etc. For the weekend, I shall now rest and recover (working from 8:45-6/7pm everyday, without breaks because I work through lunch kill me!)

Until next time folks,MT
Update: I will try to break down my little blog into subjects, extra circular and general wellbeing henceforth. Anyways, so here we go!

My week started out without the presence of my head of year bellowing at us the student bulletin this week, instead that was reserved for Wednesday morning, as opposed to Monday morning (thank god!) To be frankly honest, I'm not too sure what to write in this update. A levels have seemed to slowly drain me throughout the week and I seem to feel like a car engine without any fuel... stuck! I feel like if I break this down into subjects, perhaps it will become easier for me to write?

Business Studies:
Well this subject was one that I really disliked from the first lesson (the teaching had no influence on my decision, so let’s not point fingers and hear me out!). I had seemed to convince myself that business studies was the easiest A level in order to get an A* in and it certainly did not challenge me as much as, let's say Economics for instance. I feel like business studies was a vision that I had once held, but no longer. I greatly respect how my teachers attempted to fully engage with us and invite us into business discourse. However, with the tedious work set (literally completing tons of short-medium answers (1-16marks) I was extremely fed up. I felt like we were given the mark scheme and no structure/format on how to answer the questions. With no surprise, I got 4/9 and 9/16 on my 25 marker, with almost no feedback. This really shocked me and hit me hard. In comparison to all of my other subjects, I felt like others courses were much more clear, what we are studying was clear and what to revise + how to complete further proactive study was also very clear. Whereas in business, after having one of our main teachers off on jury service - it was too much. I experienced a nightmare, where the exact same treatment of business studies that I experienced in my previous school (having no teacher during the whole of year 11 and not learning any content for my exams) had profound effect. On Wednesday, I went to the very kind admissions officer who helped me into the right direction for dropping the course. I took up Philosophy & Ethics, my initial choice from the introduction days and now I have 6 weeks of philosophy to catch up on - a decision that I will soon become to love or hate! (but probably love, since I love a challenge!)

Sociology:
The study of society, or as normally people call it, ‘Sociology’. This subject has not failed in grabbing my full attention during every lesson. My two teachers are great at their profession. Now the sociological theory is significantly harder than the research methods, but nevertheless, both are very interesting. I have been finding the lessons very simple to understand, my only difficulty was writing a 6 mark answer on consumer cultures, which was hard because there is very scarce amount resources available online. We had two questions set in my research methods lesson, one four and six markers respectively. I found them relatively easy, picking up full marks in both. This is absolutely not because I am clever at all, however, the reason I am getting these marks is because I am putting in hard work and long hours every single day across the board. What is frustrating me at the moment are people in my class who attribute my test grades, for instance when I got 38/40 and they only got 14/40 to my ‘innate intelligence’. I feel like it is important to state now that I did not take sociology at GCSE, I did not even get good GCSE’s… the one difference being is now at A levels I am taking year 12 as seriously (if not) more seriously than year 13s and this hard work is what is showing through my test results.

Philosophy & Ethics
Depressing? Yes. That is exactly what I thought when I first took this course and read over the pages. So far, I have only had one lesson in Philosophy & ethics, literally I had no idea what the hell (pun intended) was going on. Everybody was debating their ideas and getting shut down by somebody else’s rebuttal, honestly it felt like a war zone. But then I realised… this is nothing like old, relaxing and laid back business studies. This is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, I am talking about honesty. People in this class will honestly express their opinion and extreme examples, no matter how painful they maybe to others. Philosophy is all about debate, arguing and justifying your logic with examples - an absolutely pivotal skill required in a skilled profession such as law. Although I have six weeks to catch up on, (feels like a whole year of paper work) and about seventy pages to read, I am determined to catch up and am already cracking on with it. This subject will be attacked my Marshall’s wonderful and great studying mind! Bring it on philosophy!! A massive thank you to my admissions tutor, head of humanities and everyone who organised the shift! (I get that they will most likely never read this, but credit given where credit is due!)

Economics:
Economics is to me one of the most fascinating and interesting subjects I have ever encountered throughout my academic studies. The study of how micro and macro economic theories impact individuals and economies as a whole is incredibly exciting. I am loving economics especially the depths we explored about unemployment, product possibility frontiers and inflation! Next I will be self learning, ‘supply’ throughout the new economic textbooks (which are written at undergraduate level). There is not much more I can say, as I cannot fully justify any criticisms that I have about economics. It is a subject for the curious and intrigued - one that I somehow strangely fit into.

Extended project qualification (EPQ):
As a result of dropping Philosophy, it is very unfortunate for me that I have had to change my EPQ class & supervisor. My previous supervisor was amazing, I valued, respected and developed on her advice given. It is sad now that I have a teacher, who I have no idea who she is, no idea what subject she teaches or if she even can make eye contact with me. If I am being honest, I find the new class and teacher very scary. I feel afraid to even talk to this teacher, so looks like I will have another challenge to overcome over the next two weeks. On the bright side, I am reading two books at the moment on economic history and law. I am looking for any key historic points that I can analyse fully in detail, therefore, allowing me to narrow my essay question down once more into answerable form.

Social wellbeing:
Every week we have key note speakers in our ‘social well-being’ timetabled lessons. Now, if you read last week’s update, will realise that I proudly disagreed with everything the key note speaker said. Whereas this week, for the first time in this new school - I sympathised with this speaker. She is HIV positive, her lover who gave it her had died with her by his side and her life changed every since she got diagnosed by accident (condom breaking). It has forced me to reflect on how suddenly life can change for the individual on a micro level, however while observing her talk it was clear that she has recited this for a long time (later she revealed that she has been talking about this for twenty five years!) her complete awareness talks all about the safety of sex et cetera and how her very micro, individual experience has actually lead to a macro level of response. Her talks have helped relieve stigmas around HIV, that HIV is not an STI spread by only homosexual men, but by heterosexual people also. This women was diagnosed twenty five years ago and was given 10 years at maximum to live. Her doctor’s only advice was to, ‘go out and live advice while you still have some left’. She is still alive today, thanks for modern medicine and fight. The speech was very comical, with very serious parts at most points and if I remember correctly - her email address was [email protected]? Don’t quote me there, it may be awfully wrong - but if you want to really hear some amazing inspirational stuff, give her an email (if it is the right one) and I’m sure you will be amazed (and inspired)!

Young Enterprise:
Our school offer the young enterprise scheme or project, this essentially entails creating our own business in order to make a profit. I have been appointed Financial director, a role that I have mighty confidence in. Our product will be producing colouring books aimed at children! In order to raise some capital, we all have invested personal amounts of money and all possess equal shares. Our next course of action is to fundraise sufficient enough internally within our school to being producing our product!

Conclusion:
I do all of my work at school everyday. I wake up, 6:30am, get into school by 8:20am - my school finishes at 3pm. That does not for me. I stay until 6-7pm every night doing reactive work (completing homework etc) and proactive work (taking my independent studies into my hand through extra extra questions + going over my notes etc). I also work through break times and lunch, as I see making lots of friends in a big school incredibly difficult and by cracking on with work - I will have less for after school and less to worry about in the long term. I am finding familiar faces, who I often do work with during break/lunch times. I feel like the biggest failure within school is that break and lunch times are used unproductively. Every single day we are given a set maximum of five lessons and one hour ten minute of accumulated break time. By avoiding break and lunch time by working through them, I am able to total nine to eleven hours everyday of pure academic work. I feel like this is not enough at the moment, because I have been resting and catching up on sleep during the weekends. However, this weekend I will be catching on Philosophy work and making my extra work hopefully toll over thirty hours this week. If I can sustain this approach, I feel like A levels will become much more easier and I will not have to cram anything into the last minute - a big failure and fault I did during my GCSE’s.

Hope you can respond/take inspiration from this short blog of me!Thanks!!! XOXO, MT xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Update: I will try to break down my little blog into subjects, extra circular and general wellbeing henceforth. Anyways, so here we go!

My week started out without the presence of my head of year bellowing at us the student bulletin this week, instead that was reserved for Wednesday morning, as opposed to Monday morning (thank god!) To be frankly honest, I'm not too sure what to write in this update. A levels have seemed to slowly drain me throughout the week and I seem to feel like a car engine without any fuel... stuck! I feel like if I break this down into subjects, perhaps it will become easier for me to write?

Business Studies:
Well this subject was one that I really disliked from the first lesson (the teaching had no influence on my decision, so let’s not point fingers and hear me out!). I had seemed to convince myself that business studies was the easiest A level in order to get an A* in and it certainly did not challenge me as much as, let's say Economics for instance. I feel like business studies was a vision that I had once held, but no longer. I greatly respect how my teachers attempted to fully engage with us and invite us into business discourse. However, with the tedious work set (literally completing tons of short-medium answers (1-16marks) I was extremely fed up. I felt like we were given the mark scheme and no structure/format on how to answer the questions. With no surprise, I got 4/9 and 9/16 on my 25 marker, with almost no feedback. This really shocked me and hit me hard. In comparison to all of my other subjects, I felt like others courses were much more clear, what we are studying was clear and what to revise + how to complete further proactive study was also very clear. Whereas in business, after having one of our main teachers off on jury service - it was too much. I experienced a nightmare, where the exact same treatment of business studies that I experienced in my previous school (having no teacher during the whole of year 11 and not learning any content for my exams) had profound effect. On Wednesday, I went to the very kind admissions officer who helped me into the right direction for dropping the course. I took up Philosophy & Ethics, my initial choice from the introduction days and now I have 6 weeks of philosophy to catch up on - a decision that I will soon become to love or hate! (but probably love, since I love a challenge!)

Sociology:
The study of society, or as normally people call it, ‘Sociology’. This subject has not failed in grabbing my full attention during every lesson. My two teachers are great at their profession. Now the sociological theory is significantly harder than the research methods, but nevertheless, both are very interesting. I have been finding the lessons very simple to understand, my only difficulty was writing a 6 mark answer on consumer cultures, which was hard because there is very scarce amount resources available online. We had two questions set in my research methods lesson, one four and six markers respectively. I found them relatively easy, picking up full marks in both. This is absolutely not because I am clever at all, however, the reason I am getting these marks is because I am putting in hard work and long hours every single day across the board. What is frustrating me at the moment are people in my class who attribute my test grades, for instance when I got 38/40 and they only got 14/40 to my ‘innate intelligence’. I feel like it is important to state now that I did not take sociology at GCSE, I did not even get good GCSE’s… the one difference being is now at A levels I am taking year 12 as seriously (if not) more seriously than year 13s and this hard work is what is showing through my test results.

Philosophy & Ethics
Depressing? Yes. That is exactly what I thought when I first took this course and read over the pages. So far, I have only had one lesson in Philosophy & ethics, literally I had no idea what the hell (pun intended) was going on. Everybody was debating their ideas and getting shut down by somebody else’s rebuttal, honestly it felt like a war zone. But then I realised… this is nothing like old, relaxing and laid back business studies. This is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, I am talking about honesty. People in this class will honestly express their opinion and extreme examples, no matter how painful they maybe to others. Philosophy is all about debate, arguing and justifying your logic with examples - an absolutely pivotal skill required in a skilled profession such as law. Although I have six weeks to catch up on, (feels like a whole year of paper work) and about seventy pages to read, I am determined to catch up and am already cracking on with it. This subject will be attacked my Marshall’s wonderful and great studying mind! Bring it on philosophy!! A massive thank you to my admissions tutor, head of humanities and everyone who organised the shift! (I get that they will most likely never read this, but credit given where credit is due!)

Economics:
Economics is to me one of the most fascinating and interesting subjects I have ever encountered throughout my academic studies. The study of how micro and macro economic theories impact individuals and economies as a whole is incredibly exciting. I am loving economics especially the depths we explored about unemployment, product possibility frontiers and inflation! Next I will be self learning, ‘supply’ throughout the new economic textbooks (which are written at undergraduate level). There is not much more I can say, as I cannot fully justify any criticisms that I have about economics. It is a subject for the curious and intrigued - one that I somehow strangely fit into.

Extended project qualification (EPQ):
As a result of dropping Philosophy, it is very unfortunate for me that I have had to change my EPQ class & supervisor. My previous supervisor was amazing, I valued, respected and developed on her advice given. It is sad now that I have a teacher, who I have no idea who she is, no idea what subject she teaches or if she even can make eye contact with me. If I am being honest, I find the new class and teacher very scary. I feel afraid to even talk to this teacher, so looks like I will have another challenge to overcome over the next two weeks. On the bright side, I am reading two books at the moment on economic history and law. I am looking for any key historic points that I can analyse fully in detail, therefore, allowing me to narrow my essay question down once more into answerable form.

Social wellbeing:
Every week we have key note speakers in our ‘social well-being’ timetabled lessons. Now, if you read last week’s update, will realise that I proudly disagreed with everything the key note speaker said. Whereas this week, for the first time in this new school - I sympathised with this speaker. She is HIV positive, her lover who gave it her had died with her by his side and her life changed every since she got diagnosed by accident (condom breaking). It has forced me to reflect on how suddenly life can change for the individual on a micro level, however while observing her talk it was clear that she has recited this for a long time (later she revealed that she has been talking about this for twenty five years!) her complete awareness talks all about the safety of sex et cetera and how her very micro, individual experience has actually lead to a macro level of response. Her talks have helped relieve stigmas around HIV, that HIV is not an STI spread by only homosexual men, but by heterosexual people also. This women was diagnosed twenty five years ago and was given 10 years at maximum to live. Her doctor’s only advice was to, ‘go out and live advice while you still have some left’. She is still alive today, thanks for modern medicine and fight. The speech was very comical, with very serious parts at most points and if I remember correctly - her email address was [email protected]? Don’t quote me there, it may be awfully wrong - but if you want to really hear some amazing inspirational stuff, give her an email (if it is the right one) and I’m sure you will be amazed (and inspired)!

Young Enterprise:
Our school offer the young enterprise scheme or project, this essentially entails creating our own business in order to make a profit. I have been appointed Financial director, a role that I have mighty confidence in. Our product will be producing colouring books aimed at children! In order to raise some capital, we all have invested personal amounts of money and all possess equal shares. Our next course of action is to fundraise sufficient enough internally within our school to being producing our product!

Conclusion:
I do all of my work at school everyday. I wake up, 6:30am, get into school by 8:20am - my school finishes at 3pm. That does not for me. I stay until 6-7pm every night doing reactive work (completing homework etc) and proactive work (taking my independent studies into my hand through extra extra questions + going over my notes etc). I also work through break times and lunch, as I see making lots of friends in a big school incredibly difficult and by cracking on with work - I will have less for after school and less to worry about in the long term. I am finding familiar faces, who I often do work with during break/lunch times. I feel like the biggest failure within school is that break and lunch times are used unproductively. Every single day we are given a set maximum of five lessons and one hour ten minute of accumulated break time. By avoiding break and lunch time by working through them, I am able to total nine to eleven hours everyday of pure academic work. I feel like this is not enough at the moment, because I have been resting and catching up on sleep during the weekends. However, this weekend I will be catching on Philosophy work and making my extra work hopefully toll over thirty hours this week. If I can sustain this approach, I feel like A levels will become much more easier and I will not have to cram anything into the last minute - a big failure and fault I did during my GCSE’s.

Hope you can respond/take inspiration from this short blog of me!Thanks!!! XOXO, MT xD

Keep up the hard work, hopefully you'll soon join me at Warwick University :smile:
Well, Mr Haribo I immediately went to rep you when I saw your reply and couldn't because of some limit! :colonhash: Anyways,I had one of my best Economics lessons today and I absolutely loved it! It explored similar issues raised and I realised that Economics will definitely be one of my subjects that I can express my passion for (just need to work on doing this through essay writing)! For my EPQ presentation (date set in stone for mid March) I am planning to do something really creative like separating the room into 50/50 - similar to how close the Brexit vote was.

Business will be a long slog, especially now that it's linear (no coursework to kill time) so I will have to stick with it I suppose. At the moment we have been advised to make our in school time as effective as possible, so when we go home and relax, we can do so in peace. The Headteacher did mention doing three hours addition everyday, but that includes utilising free periods, which I am using very efficiently at the moment! For example, most of my frees have been used reading up the Economics specification and course materials, which has enabled me contribute wider context during a debate today about unemployment rates between 1970-2011. This weekend, for instance, I will be finishing up Sociology notes, doing my Sociology homework and completing Chapter 1 of Core 1 AS maths (and catching up on much needed sleep!) So, at the moment I am feeling pretty good and adapting well. The workload is much higher than GCSE, but bearable, I am surprised that all of my A Levels interconnect so well! For example, in Economics we use Quantitative data, which is what positivists use in Sociology (so I was able to use what I knew from Sociology in my Economics class). Anyways, my EPQ is coming along nicely (just finished writing my initial ideas on Project Q, so am very happy)

I am mainly using my blog to keep myself motivated and focussed throughout the next two years and people like yourself really help me attain my focus. So much so that I have researched going for straight Llb Law and below will be the Universities I will be applying to in year 13 for LLB Law.

Cambridge - A*AA (I understand that the data is certainly not in my favour, but I believe if I back myself and have enough potential there is always a small chance)
Exeter - AAA, AAB - (My firm choice university that I definitely want to goto if I get in, I visited my Uncle's farm right next to Exeter and fell in love with it)
Royal Holloway - AAB - (Really my backup choice, don't really want to goto London but it's my final backup)
Warwick - AAA - (My brother goes here and loves it, I've visited a couple of times and have been on the open days, suffice to say it's awesome!)
York - AAA (I've heard good things, but this slot is more open to change over the next year, just had to fill the five allocated places)

As ever, I hope this was eligible and made some sense, I type quite fast and hope you continue on my journey!

-MT

Those sound like a great choice! Glad to hear you've got a topic for your EPQ! I'm thinking of doing a EPQ on an act or law in human rights :smile: we have to start planning next week (half term). i'm very scared because my teacher did say that not everyone will be able to do EPQ and some people will get kicked out via a letter home so I hope thats not me!! :frown:
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Keep up the hard work, hopefully you'll soon join me at Warwick University :smile:

Haha I hope so! I'm going to the Warwick open day tomorrow for Economics! :biggrin:

Those sound like a great choice! Glad to hear you've got a topic for your EPQ! I'm thinking of doing a EPQ on an act or law in human rights :smile: we have to start planning next week (half term). i'm very scared because my teacher did say that not everyone will be able to do EPQ and some people will get kicked out via a letter home so I hope thats not me!! :frown:

That's so sad! I hope you don't get kicked off your course (not sure why they would?) At my school, the EPQ is compulsory for everybody and we must do it (it is also timetabled)! I have finalised my project down and I am doing it on a specific criminal law, which should be very interesting. Deciding to sway away from commercial (for the EPQ) and focussing on criminal law (will be significantly easier to argue fully). Confront your teacher and tell them what you want, if they have any sense or understanding, they should keep you on the course. Do you goto a big or small school/academy? I hear funding is quite difficult in smaller state schools at the moment, could this be the reason why? Good luck! (and keep me updated!!) :biggrin: I'm sure you'll be fine!
21/10/2016 - Blog update! Hello everybody! I hope everyone is well and enjoying whatever type of education you are doing, whether it be A levels or level 1 BTEC. Welcome to my end of term blog! This is a very sad time for me, as the library is unfortunately closed for one WHOLE week *wipes tears* and I am forced to be exiled into a new land called the ‘outside’ (not sure if you’ve ever been there before, especially considering you’re reading this on tsr, YES TSR! Yet again, I will break down my week into subjects , personal whatever I want think of and I will also discuss my progress report one (pr1).

Economics:
In economics this week, we have covered: supply, the balance of payments and types of inflation. I have three different teachers, with one covering theme 1 (microeconomics) and two separate teachers, both covering theme 2 (macroeconomics). This is, of course, very new and an very interesting way of teaching the course - but I must say, I’m enjoying it quite a lot! So, in supply we learnt that an increase in price will lead to an increase in supply (oh I wish my economics teachers don’t read this, incase I get something the wrong way around) and that’s quite a hard concept to get your head around - but hey, that’s A levels! In macroeconomics, they interconnect quite well and I am beginning to see how all three teachers really compliment each other in terms of context and teaching styles. Over this term, we have really being laying down the foundation of Economics at quite a very standard level and after half term, or as my school call it during next term, we will be really advancing economics on both a quantitative (more calculations etc) and knowledge based (much harder content) level. I primarily took maths for the next two years to help with my economics, as I understand, it can get very numerical and confusing for some people! My Pr1 has given me a teacher assessed grade of A2 (which means ‘a relatively secure grade A - fairly secure but not 100%) and ‘excellent’ in attitude to learning. Of course, I wish to maintain this high standard of work throughout two years and I am expecting for this to pay dividends during my final exams. Over the half term, we have been set three whole book chapters of homework (and this book is like thicker than the original Nokia). So, we should expect to forecast my half term to be room temperature with a high degree of productivity (ha ha…h….a… oh my god, what am I going to do?!)

Philosophy:
I have had about five lessons in philosophy & ethics (let’s just call it philosophy from henceforth, as it’s far more succinct and plus it kinda sounds better) so far and oh god (pun intended) this subject is the trickiest little devil (again) to wrap your head around. Literally, this is no joke, my teacher said yesterday in class, ‘this is the hard Plato evaluations, even I don't understand it’… So yeah, am I doomed? Probably not - my intelligence and hard working ethic could theoretically carry me to an A grade and I say carry in very a vague sense, almost like I’m not doing any work - but I literally mean the exact opposite.. Anyways, since I have just recently taken it, I have two months of work to catch up on (it’s SO MUCH) and so far, I’ve been chipping away at it after school everyday. In terms of classwork, I have read ahead of every chapter covered this year (textbook) in their lessons beforehand, so when they talk about theories that they think I missed and therefore, wouldn’t understand - I play it down as if I have no clue, but actually I am ahead of the class (lol)! So… my half term will extremely philosophical apparently - since I have Jeremy Bentham (shoutout, founding spiritual father of UCL), Mill and Peter Singer evaluations to destroy. For those not doing philosophy, I would like for you to prayer to the ones who are (me only) and just appreciate the lack of headaches! (because literally it’s a tricky worm to get into your head). Not sure what else to write here, so I may just end this subject short. Incase you were wondering, my Pr1 didn’t include philosophy (since I just moved), so I have absolutely no idea how I’m doing, effort wise and grade wise! Who knew philosophy could be this fun?

Sociology:
Right, so I need to sleep soon… So let me quickly wrap up these subjects! A level sociology has been very difficult for me and I struggle on it lots. This has been an issue that I haven't discussed, because I’m not happy to struggle with work - that is not good enough for who I am or want to be. What I have been doing, to change this, is at least five hours extra every week purely on sociology and now I find it very capable, in terms of work, and examinations. Occasionally, I will slip up (made a muppet off myself on a 6 mark question, stupidly did it after about five hours of pure philosophy) so there are areas for me to obviously improve on. It was with delight to see that on my report, I was predicted ‘B3’ and ‘Excellent’ - this may not seem good, but it is the highest grade that my sociology teacher has ever handed out since Pr1’s have ever been invented. He also mentioned that if I were to continue, like I am, he would happily predict me an A* for my UCAS application (but now let’s not let this get to my mind, as that’s exactly what lead me to fail at GCSE level). Overall, I am happy and will continue to do further work during the half term!Maths:I’m enjoying maths, I have a fantastic teacher and he really engages the class as a whole- much different than my previous math teachers. I feel like this teacher is far more experienced and is much better, he replies to emails when I get questions wrong and I will work hard to justify a higher Pr1 grade. My current one (and so was much of the class’ grade) was a D2 (secure D grade) - this was based on last year’s class getting straight U’s (apart from four candidates), however this wasn’t taught by my teacher! “Excellent’ in effort was again a common trait for my Pr1, a quality that I have held since secondary school. I will continue to practice all of the stuff I have covered, so I do not forget or make silly mistakes over the half term!

EPQ:

I have moved classes and supervisors in EPQ. My old supervisor ticked off my question and thought it was very good, especially considering it wasn’t final. However, my new supervisor completely ripped my question to shreds and said ‘at best it would achieve a D’ - this absolutely shocked me and I was left with an unfathomable thought in my mind… “A ‘D’ grade?!!?! What?!’ so, therefore, I spent about three hours going over my options and whether to full on rant (trust me this happened multiple times in my head) or instead (what I actually did), work on my question and narrow it down. Today, I went in to check with her if she had changed her mind about it and she had! Yippie! Looks like my ship won’t be sinking today. (a very petty ‘good’ on my Pr1, despite not even meeting her before it was inputted, meh) I still have to find EPQ resources to read on criminal law now, especially on joint enterprise and abusive prosecutors. Any suggestions, please list them below!!

Overall, I am very happy with my Pr1 report and my subjects. Over the half term, I will have roughly 18 pieces of work to do (my personal minimum) and the open day at Warwick University tomorrow! I am understandably extremely tired, so, therefore, I will head off to bed! Hope you enjoyed my blog and please do leave your comments down below, any support is better than none :wink:

The one and only,
Marshall Taylor
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest