Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Able to get support at university for depression and occasional psychosis?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Turns out I can't make this post anonymous on mobile but oh well. I've had depression for a couple of years now and it feels like it's at a really bad level - I won't go into why but I'm sure you can guess anyway. I've told school and they're really supportive and are there to talk whenever I need it.

I also experience psychosis every now and again - I've only just realised that the voices I hear aren't from actual people and it's awful.

Both of these affect my everyday life, what support could I get at university for it? There are times where I can't concentrate on work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your best bet is to talk to the disability services at your intended university. They can best direct you who you need to talk to/what support you can get. There's also something called Disabled Student Allowance (DSA), if you apply for this you can get quite a lot of things to make your life easier at uni. They set up a meeting and ask you questions about exactly what's going on, then they can do things like give you a support worker who you can talk to for X number of hours for help with managing uni, also software such as mind mapping or one where it reads what's on the screen for you. Also sometimes they might decide to pay for photocopying or printing that are needed by you to help you study despite your depression/psychosis. DSA also write to your uni to help set up various allowances - for instance exams on your own/in a room with only a few people, extra time, use of a computer - stuff like that. Definitely worth looking into.

Good luck I'm currently at uni with a psychotic disorder so if you have any further questions or just want to talk to someone, feel free to PM me or post on this thread.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.