Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Periods - is this normal? (girl problem)

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014

Ok, in the recent two months, whenever I've finished my period (normal), a few days after it's all done, more traces of brown blood comes out. Is that normal? There're no problems, no pains etc. The later blood is very little, and lasts a few days, and then everything's back to normal.

Reason why I'm posting now is, I'm due for my period either now or in the next few days - I don't quite remember but I haven't had my period this month yet and I'm usually due end of each month. Now, I thought my period was starting when I saw a small trace. But for the past day and a half, there's been nothing but, again, little bits of brown blood Again, no pain, no problems, but I'm starting to wonder if this is normal. My period still isn't here yet. Never had brown blood just before my period. It's always been normal period throughout my life, up until the recent two, three months.

And no I'm not pregnant cus I'm a virgin. So I can't imagine what it is? I'm wondering if my period will come at all - not sure why I'm thinking that though cus in my life since puberty I've only ever skipped one period - it just didn't come for a month - but that only ever happened once since I was 11 and I'm now 19, so that's not exactly a frequent occurence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brown blood at the beginning and end, particularly the end, is perfectly normal.

(Original post by Thelfo)
    Brown blood at the beginning and end, particularly the end, is perfectly normal.
    But I'm not on about brown blood that follows straight into a period, or straight on from a period. I've had those too and it's never bothered me. However, it's the gaps between the brown blood and the normal period that worries me. It's like - the period completely stops - it's literally all gone. Then a few days later the brown blood comes. And of course with the current case of brown blood being at the beginning - I got brown blood last night, so I wore a pad, wore one all day today too, and it's been nothing but slightly brown blood. My period should've started by this point cus usually when I get brown blood, within the next few hours the real period follows.

So these gaps between the brown blood and the real period is normal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you been stressed recently?
    Not eating properly?
    Or gone on holiday abroad?

Sometimes these & other things can have an effect on your period. I wouldn't worry about it this month, unless this happens the next couple of months as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about your period being late, because mine have never been regular, but I know it's not unusual for me to have a period and seemingly finish, enough that I don't use anything, and then a day or so later I'll get some brown blood. It can also happen at the start, but I find that's less common.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's called spotting, and yes, it's normal. If your cycle changes dramatically or there's lots of it, it's a cause for concern, but if it's just a bit of spotting then I wouldn't worry.

(Original post by Helenia)
    It's called spotting, and yes, it's normal. If your cycle changes dramatically or there's lots of it, it's a cause for concern, but if it's just a bit of spotting then I wouldn't worry.
    Spotting. What causes it? How come it's never happened before?

Cheers for everyone's advice though. And no I've not been particularly stress, no holidays, but I did move back home from uni so routines and diet's changed - I'm eating properly for once now that dad's cooking lol!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could be caused just by when you ovulate.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spotting. What causes it? How come it's never happened before?

Cheers for everyone's advice though. And no I've not been particularly stress, no holidays, but I did move back home from uni so routines and diet's changed - I'm eating properly for once now that dad's cooking lol!
    Not entirely sure of the cause - just a little dip in hormones allowing some lining to be lost, at a guess. People's hormonal balance isn't permanent or fixed, so it could just be a bit of a change with the new routine. If it continues and concerns you, it might be worth mentioning to your GP, but personally I wouldn't be worried. I guess it depends on what you're used to though.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Not entirely sure of the cause - just a little dip in hormones allowing some lining to be lost, at a guess. People's hormonal balance isn't permanent or fixed, so it could just be a bit of a change with the new routine. If it continues and concerns you, it might be worth mentioning to your GP, but personally I wouldn't be worried. I guess it depends on what you're used to though.
    Dip in hormone levels? Hmmm... I guess it's too soon to worry about that. It's just I'm not used to these random gaps between the period and the spotting. It's never a lot - barely enough to ruin my underwear. If the brown blood increases I'll start worrying again

What can restore my hormone levels?
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Dip in hormone levels? Hmmm... I guess it's too soon to worry about that. It's just I'm not used to these random gaps between the period and the spotting. It's never a lot - barely enough to ruin my underwear. If the brown blood increases I'll start worrying again

What can restore my hormone levels?
    Not something you would need to worry about, tbh - they naturally fluctuate with every cycle, I guess it's just changing a little. But I'm really waffling now, so I wouldn't take anything I'm saying as fact.

Personally my periods (pre-pill) were never entirely regular and occasionally had spotting. I never saw it as something to worry about; though I guess if you're used to them being more regular, you'd be more likely to notice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My doctor told me when I was a teenager that brown blood is normal it's just old blood what has to come out.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 27, 2007
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.