The Student Room Group

Who has done better in A-level than GCSEs?

Would just like to see some posts of people who have done a subject in GCSEs which they got a decent grade at, but they took the subject at A-levels and got a higher grade.

Format:

Subject:

GCSE Grade (For the subjects listed above):

A-Level Grade (For the subjects listed above):

Comments:

Edit: I'd just like to add that the reason I'm making this thread is that some people think that it's quite literally impossible to get a higher grade in A-levels for a subject they took at GCSEs.... I hope some of you TSR Members can prove these individuals wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll hopefully come back to this after 2 years. :tongue:
Very interesting thread
Reply 3
Hey, I've got 5 GCSEs that I have done in France and got A* in French, 2 Bs in maths and English language and a C in literature and in statistics (A*BBCC).

For my AS-Level, which i sat this year got A in French, A in politics, A History and A Sociology (i moved to the uk);

So it is possible, depends all on you :wink:
Not improved, but I've got what may be considered poor GCSEs and decent A-levels

GCSEs: A*BBBCCDDDD

A-levels: A*BB
In my GCSEs I got 1A* 4A 4B 3C.

In my AS I got Distinction* + AAB.

Though unfortunately the B was in History, a subject which I also got a B in at GCSE. :frown:
Reply 6
Interesting stuff guys. But I hope you guys are aware of what this thread is actually for. It's not really to compare your overall GCSEs to your A-Levels, it's supposed to compare individual subjects you've taken for both GCSEs and A-Levels, to show that you can do better in A-Levels than GCSEs.

Example of what I mean (note that this is made up):

Subject: English Literature

GCSE Grade: C

A-Level Grade: A

Comments: I didn't do that well in English Literature for GCSEs, but I made sure to make a significant improvement at A-Levels.
Subject: Econ Maths Pol History

GCSE Grade: AAABBBBBBCCD

A-Level Grade: AS: AABC A2 AAA (predictions)

Comments: Piss
Reply 8
Original post by citibankrec
Subject: Econ Maths Pol History

GCSE Grade: AAABBBBBBCCD

A-Level Grade: AS: AABC A2 AAA (predictions)

Comments: Piss

Which subjects did you take to A2?
I got zero A*s at GCSE, only 2As, rest BS and several CS
but AAA at A-level
Original post by Rajive
Which subjects did you take to A2?

Pol, econ and history in which i got AAB
Original post by Abstract_Prism
In my GCSEs I got 1A* 4A 4B 3C.

In my AS I got Distinction* + AAB.

Though unfortunately the B was in History, a subject which I also got a B in at GCSE. :frown:

But a B in A Level history is like an A** At GCSE because it's so much harder so although it's the same letter it's worth alot more effort and time and valued more so technically.... YOU HAVE DONE BETTER!
Reply 12
This is basically the perfect thread for me ngl 😂

GCSE: AABBBCCCDD

AS: AABC
Reply 13
Original post by SFK537
This is basically the perfect thread for me ngl 😂

GCSE: AABBBCCCDD

AS: AABC

What subjects and what are you taking to A2?
Is it possible to pass psychology A level with a C in GCSE English?
GCSEs - 1A*, 5As and 5Bs
AS - AAAB
(The C in Spanish was remarked to a B)
Reply 17
It would be nice to see some people who've done better in a single subject in A-Level than in GCSE. Anyone?
Original post by ArgonV
It would be nice to see some people who've done better in a single subject in A-Level than in GCSE. Anyone?

look at post 7
I got an A in maths GCSE but an A* at A level :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest