The Student Room Group

Further maths tips

So I just saw a thread about regular maths a level advice and was wondering if anyone had any advice for further maths as well? I know asked this a while ago but wasn't really satisfied with the answers. Plus I've got my actual GCSE grade now to help indicate ability.

I got an A* (176/200) so yea not the best A* but hopefully it can help indicate ability to cope with FM?

Some people say it's impossible but others say it's fine I'm so confused );
Original post by Bernie2016
So I just saw a thread about regular maths a level advice and was wondering if anyone had any advice for further maths as well? I know asked this a while ago but wasn't really satisfied with the answers. Plus I've got my actual GCSE grade now to help indicate ability.

I got an A* (176/200) so yea not the best A* but hopefully it can help indicate ability to cope with FM?

Same advice from maths goes to FM. But if you're doing both, you should spend considerably more time on FM.
Reply 2
Who says it is impossible. If you work hard and you actually enjoy doing maths then you should find it relatively comfortable and if you try working above the standard required for exams then you should find it quite easy.
But please put the work in.
x

Almost everyone who has done further maths in this forum will tell you how easy maths and further maths are, and its true. That's because if you're 18 years old and are on the TSR maths forum you actually care somewhat about maths and (mostly) really enjoy it.

If I had of studied history at alevel and put the amount of time into it as I did maths and FM Im sure I would have got an A* in it too, but the difference is I could work at further maths for 4-5 hours after I came home from school and it would feel like 2 hours because I really enjoyed what i was learning!

Basically if you enjoy maths and are prepared to work at it you'll find it easy enough. If you think of maths as a chore and are only doing it for the "prestige" of having a further maths alevel you'll struggle somewhat (keep in mind doing both means you'll have 6 modules a year to do, combining the textbooks that's about 1000 pages of maths work a year), however I'm not saying you still couldn't get an A*

DO THE INTERNATIONAL PAPERS. Helps out sooooo much.
Reply 5
Original post by Kawaii289

Isn't that something the school decides?
Isn't that something the school decides?

no i mean do them for revision as they are always harder. Not for your real exam, lol. So you do really difficult exam questions and nail the your modules at the end of the year.

Hi, i know this is from a really long time ago, but i was wondering if you could perhaps put a link below or something as to where i could find these international papers to do. I'm currently in year 12 completing the maths a level in 1 year.
Also, are international papers really that much more difficult compared to the uk papers?
So, what did you endup getting?

It really is free real estate. If you can see this

Quick Reply

Latest