The Student Room Group

What would you think of someone taking the hijab off

All right so this might be an odd question but I have indeed intended for it to be posted in the uni life section. I'm a Muslim girl who's lived in halls for their first year of uni and I know a fair amount of my course mates well. I wore a hijab for this year but I'm planning to take it off before I move back out to uni for my 2nd year. My question is what would you think of a girl like that, if anything at all? I'm sure my friends would be curious which is fair enough but to the people who barely know me (non muslims in particular) I am hoping you lot won't give a rat's arse because I wanna stop feeling self conscious about it lol. I'm cool with being asked questions but not really a fan of attention tbh. Thanks

Edit: also if there is a better place to post this please do let me know. I'm not too familiar with tsr's subforums
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Im not a muslim, and tbh i wouldn't think much (if anything) of it.
Reply 2
I'd think why did she bother wearing it in the first place?

not in a judgemental way. but its not like you've been wearing it since you were really young so its not really going to be seen as a big deal for someone who only just started wearing it to stop. it would be more shocking (and impressive) if she always wore it and then decided to take it off on her own accord as it shows that she finally woke up to the realisation that shes an adult now and therefore can make her own decisions in life.

yeah they can all claim that it was ALWAYS their choice to wear it from a young age as much as they want but its pretty obvious when you see 8 year old girls in hijabs that it wasn't their choice to wear it, more likely their dad demanded it. so i'd be more impressed if she wore it forever and then stopped as opposed to someone who chose to wear it herself and then changed her mind after a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I wouldn't really care tbh because everyone has their own test in life (I'm also a Muslim), so no offence but it wouldn't matter to me if you went to Jannah or not. I'm not saying you're not a good Muslim and if you take the hijab off you're going to hell or even judging you, you could be a better Muslim than me for all I know .The thing is it's your test and your life, so I wouldn't think anything of it as it wouldn't concern me. Re-reading this it sounded harsh but oh well.
Reply 4
Original post by Allie4

not in a judgemental way. but its not like you've been wearing it since you were really young so its not really going to be seen as a big deal for someone who only just started wearing it to stop. it would be more shocking (and impressive) if she always wore it and then decided to take it off on her own accord as it shows that she finally woke up to the realisation that shes an adult now and therefore can make her own decisions in life.

yeah they can all claim that it was ALWAYS their choice to wear it from a young age as much as they want but its pretty obvious when you see 8 year old girls in hijabs that it wasn't their choice to wear it, more likely their dad demanded it. so i'd be more impressed if she wore it forever and then stopped as opposed to someone who chose to wear it herself and then changed her mind after a year.

LOL the shade. You seem like you know A LOT about Islam. My sister is 9 and has been begging to wear the hijab since she was 7, but then again, I couldn't care less what people like you thought about the hijab.
Reply 5
Original post by 2579
LOL the shade. You seem like you know A LOT about Islam. My sister is 9 and has been begging to wear the hijab since she was 7

was it really her OWN choice though??

Original post by 2579
but then again, I couldn't care less what people like you thought about the hijab.

well evidently you do otherwise you wouldn't have sent a reply...
Reply 6
Original post by Allie4
was it really her OWN choice though??

Do you not understand English or something?

well evidently you do otherwise you wouldn't have sent a reply...

Its 3 in the morning, don't flatter yourself.
Reply 7
Original post by 2579
Its 3 in the morning, don't flatter yourself.

lame response.
Reply 8
Original post by Allie4

This is OP. TSR is being retarded and not accepting my email address so I can't seem to reply with my own account and had to make another one lol. gg. Anyway. When I said I wore it for this year, I meant that I continued to wear it after moving out to uni. I made the decision to wear it when I was 11 and still wear it even now at 20, but don't plan to do so anymore. Apologies for the dodgy wording. Just one thing though, do refrain from making such sweeping generalisations about a group of people like that. Quite a stark crime of logic.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like a mixed bag, genuinely thought no one would give a toss haha but I appreciate you sharing your opinions nonetheless x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Allie4
lame response.

Idk, I'd give it a 10/10 myself
I'd feel sorry for her
Original post by Kryos1
All right so this might be an odd question but I have indeed intended for it to be posted in the uni life section. I'm a Muslim girl who's lived in halls for their first year of uni and I know a fair amount of my course mates well. I wore a hijab for this year but I'm planning to take it off before I move back out to uni for my 2nd year. My question is what would you think of a girl like that, if anything at all? I'm sure my friends would be curious which is fair enough but to the people who barely know me (non muslims in particular) I am hoping you lot won't give a rat's arse because I wanna stop feeling self conscious about it lol. I'm cool with being asked questions but not really a fan of attention tbh. Thanks

Edit: also if there is a better place to post this please do let me know. I'm not too familiar with tsr's subforums

Tbh if you were fit then I'd be much more likely to check you out if you weren't wearing a hijab, but that's about it
Reply 12
Still OP here. I effed up my other account so I made this one and somehow it's working. Sorry for the mess >_<

Original post by 2579
I wouldn't really care tbh because everyone has their own test in life (I'm also a Muslim), so no offence but it wouldn't matter to me if you went to Jannah or not. I'm not saying you're not a good Muslim and if you take the hijab off you're going to hell or even judging you, you could be a better Muslim than me for all I know .The thing is it's your test and your life, so I wouldn't think anything of it as it wouldn't concern me. Re-reading this it sounded harsh but oh well.

Nah it's not harsh, just the reality of the situation. If I don't sort of find my faith again I'll pretty much be going straight into atheism, so it's most definitely not your issue what I do at that point haha. ty for the reply.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'd feel sorry for her

Can't drop that and not elaborate

Original post by Kieranisda1
Tbh if you were fit then I'd be much more likely to check you out if you weren't wearing a hijab, but that's about it

I'm not fit so that's us sorted there :wink: ty for the reply
Original post by Kryos2
Still OP here. I effed up my other account so I made this one and somehow it's working. Sorry for the mess >_<

Nah it's not harsh, just the reality of the situation. If I don't sort of find my faith again I'll pretty much be going straight into atheism, so it's most definitely not your issue what I do at that point haha. ty for the reply.

I'm not fit so that's us sorted there :wink: ty for the reply

Well if you're at least average then there'll be at least a few more blokes who notice you, not trying to sound misogynistic but it's the truth
Original post by Kryos2

Well it's sad that you have to change your appearance when away from your family just to feel like yourself
Reply 15
Well it's sad that you have to change your appearance when away from your family just to feel like yourself

I kept the first post short in the interests of brevity but really it's just invited a lot of incorrect assumptions lol. I don't mean this in a rude way but at what point did I say I was not feeling like myself or any of this related to moving away from my family? It's really just a coincidence that my decision to remove the hijab happened to fall at a time when I'll be returning to uni (and not even that since my uni doesn't start until late sept), hence my concern about how my peers could react to seeing me without it and the self consciousness that comes with that.
Original post by Kryos2
I kept the first post short in the interests of brevity but really it's just invited a lot of incorrect assumptions lol. I don't mean this in a rude way but at what point did I say I was not feeling like myself or any of this related to moving away from my family? It's really just a coincidence that my decision to remove the hijab happened to fall at a time when I'll be returning to uni (and not even that since my uni doesn't start until late sept), hence my concern about how my peers could react to seeing me without it and the self consciousness that comes with that.

I gave my opinion lol, you don't have to agree with it or like it.
First of all I would like to ask why you wanted to remove your hijab in the first place (if that's okay), secondly in my opinion (I'm a non-musilm by
the so I apologize if I sound a bit naïve about this whole situation) if I saw some change their appearance after seeing them for a year I would
firstly be surprised by it the change and be asking questions like why you changed it ( like I did in the beginning). But if you are good looking with
out the hijab I think less people (GUYS mainly) well question you. Me personally I wouldn't care that you took it off, but more on WHY you took it off.
Reply 18
I gave my opinion lol, you don't have to agree with it or like it.

It's like me asking about blue and you giving me an explanation about red though. Your opinion was based on an incorrect assumption so it is kind of moot. I do appreciate the reply however, thank you :smile:

Original post by kish667
First of all I would like to ask why you wanted to remove your hijab in the first place (if that's okay), secondly in my opinion (I'm a non-musilm by
the so I apologize if I sound a bit naïve about this whole situation) if I saw some change their appearance after seeing them for a year I would
firstly be surprised by it the change and be asking questions like why you changed it ( like I did in the beginning). But if you are good looking with
out the hijab I think less people (GUYS mainly) well question you. Me personally I wouldn't care that you took it off, but more on WHY you took it off.

Not at all, I'm completely open to questions about my decision. Male attention isn't really my concern (and not solely because I'm already dating someone) and of course people could be curious, it's more that I was hoping people wouldn't be making silly assumptions as has already happened in this thread, and assume I took it off because my parents no longer oppress me or some bull like that. I guess it's common to feel vulnerable when making big changes to your appearance. Thank you for your politeness, you didn't come off as naive at all x
I would be really interested in why she's changed.

(non-muslim)

Quick Reply

Latest