The Student Room Group

How many years does it take a medic to earn 100K+? ( What field?)

Scroll to see replies

£100k+ (adjusted for whatever inflation will be in 2050) is a reasonable 'final salary' to expect as a hospital consultant, professor, or GP partner (all of whom are manager-clinicians). By 'final salary' I mean 'the salary you will be earning by the time you get close to retirement age' i.e. in your late 50s at the earliest. If you're more aggressive about it (for example, manage to get into a specialty with lots of scope for private practice, or move to AUS/NZ) you could reach this point in your 40s. If you are *really* aggressive about it (and go to America), you could reach this point in your 30s.

On the other hand, you might take lots of extended periods of leave to raise a family or because of illness, end up working part time, or 'get stuck' halfway through specialty training because there aren't enough jobs and have to retrain for another 5 years in another specialty. You might only ever end up earning £65k as your highest ever salary, or even considerably less than that.
Original post by Beska
Lol, really enjoyed this comment.

I am merely stating the truth, friend :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Duncan2012
Oh I agree money would be a big motivator, but the idea of setting out on a 20+ year career solely to hit 100k is ludicrous.

Someone could always choose a branch of medicine that doesn't involve patients...

Or private practice of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending