The Student Room Group

EPQ English Literature ideas?

Hello, I am currently about to undertake the extended project but I am kind of stuck for ideas. I want to study English lit at uni so obviously I would like to do a project related to english literature. Do you think it would be best the look at one specific book or perhaps more than one text?
If I was to look at one specific book the title I had I mind was this: 'How is the problem/nature of evil presented in Dostoyevsky's 'The brothers Karamazov'?'
Thanks for any opinions/advice!
Since you mentioned that book, Dostoyevsky has written another book called 'Crime and Punishment' which is a dark novel about the same problem (also one of the best books I've read, speaking of which) as in the latter book :smile: you could try reading it and if you like it, perhaps base the EPQ on a compare & contrast between these two books?

Also, since the books would be by the same author, you could do some analysis on the author's background and what made him write such dark books :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaRainbows
Since you mentioned that book, Dostoyevsky has written another book called 'Crime and Punishment' which is a dark novel about the same problem (also one of the best books I've read, speaking of which) as in the latter book :smile: you could try reading it and if you like it, perhaps base the EPQ on a compare & contrast between these two books?

Also, since the books would be by the same author, you could do some analysis on the author's background and what made him write such dark books :smile:

That's a great idea! Thank you! Does 'Crime and Punishment' explore the problem/nature of evil as well? I think a contrast would be great.
Thank you :smile:
Yes!!! The main character analyses his own actions for the majority of the book, it's very descriptive in that way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Good luck :smile:
For your EPQ, you have to collect primary data so try to keep that in mind when choosing your topic. I did 'to what extended can animal testing be justified when considering medical purposes?'. For my primary data, I done questionnaires to gather people's opinions. You need something you can get a good scope into aswell, not set yourself short.

Good luck!! :smile:

(just message me if you have any questions!)
Reply 5
Original post by Courtneyx1x
For your EPQ, you have to collect primary data so try to keep that in mind when choosing your topic. I did 'to what extended can animal testing be justified when considering medical purposes?'. For my primary data, I done questionnaires to gather people's opinions. You need something you can get a good scope into aswell, not set yourself short.

Good luck!! :smile:

(just message me if you have any questions!)

Ah okay, I didn't know about the primary data thing! Could I perhaps do a questionnaire with a set of questions about people's opinions on evil and freewill and the other main themes within the book? (I don't have a clue what else I would do for my primary data haha!)
Thank you so much.
you could do I suppose. Or you could do interviews even. You'll get a lot of marks for evaluation of your method too, so you could say:

- if you use a questionnaire...
it can be used on a larger sample so it'll be more representative, thus be higher in ecological validity.
However, questionnaires can be used to gather quantitative and qualitative data (depending on question style, eg on a scale of 1-10, would be quantitative and what's your opinion on, would be qualitative). Qualitative data is good for getting a real insight, but quantitative is easier to analyse.
Questionnaires also have a lower response rate and members of your sample could lie, thus your data would be unreliable.

- if you use an interview...
You have a better opportunity to gather qualitative data so you can get a better understanding of responses. Also, with an interview, if you don't understand something in a response you can ask for clarification whereas you can't on a questionnaire. The people filling out your questionnaire may not understand what's meant by a question so they may not give accurate answers.
BUT interviews are more time consuming and can lead to having a small sample size, which would reduce the validity as it can't be applied to a large scale.
Interviews can often gather more data too, as they give the sample members a chance to ellaborate and explain their responses, so more information may mean a greater insight so richer data. However, again people could lie.

These would just be a few evaluation marks for each method. Hope this helps and I highly recommend setting yourself goals each week. I would write in my planner 'complete ***** for next week' then i could see how I've managed my time. Also, keep a track of things that you do and changes you make. This will give you a chance to explain why you made these changes and get you more marks. please please please keep a record of secondary sources you use too!
Reply 7
Original post by Courtneyx1x
you could do I suppose. Or you could do interviews even. You'll get a lot of marks for evaluation of your method too, so you could say:

- if you use a questionnaire...
it can be used on a larger sample so it'll be more representative, thus be higher in ecological validity.
However, questionnaires can be used to gather quantitative and qualitative data (depending on question style, eg on a scale of 1-10, would be quantitative and what's your opinion on, would be qualitative). Qualitative data is good for getting a real insight, but quantitative is easier to analyse.
Questionnaires also have a lower response rate and members of your sample could lie, thus your data would be unreliable.

- if you use an interview...
You have a better opportunity to gather qualitative data so you can get a better understanding of responses. Also, with an interview, if you don't understand something in a response you can ask for clarification whereas you can't on a questionnaire. The people filling out your questionnaire may not understand what's meant by a question so they may not give accurate answers.
BUT interviews are more time consuming and can lead to having a small sample size, which would reduce the validity as it can't be applied to a large scale.
Interviews can often gather more data too, as they give the sample members a chance to ellaborate and explain their responses, so more information may mean a greater insight so richer data. However, again people could lie.

These would just be a few evaluation marks for each method. Hope this helps and I highly recommend setting yourself goals each week. I would write in my planner 'complete ***** for next week' then i could see how I've managed my time. Also, keep a track of things that you do and changes you make. This will give you a chance to explain why you made these changes and get you more marks. please please please keep a record of secondary sources you use too!

Thank you so much for giving me an insight into these different options. Are secondary sources books and websites? Also, how long did you spend on your EPQ each week?
Thank you :smile:
No problem, happy to help. If there's anything at all that you'd like advice with, just message me :smile: yeah, secondary sources are basically anything you read that isn't your own work. I spent about 1-3 hours per week, sometimes more if I had a lot to get done but you'll get given a time when you're free to go to your advisor and basically get on with it. I found it really useful to just sit down and get a lot done in my free time. I done big bits every now and then too, but I suppose that didn't help me in the long run because I ended up with loose ends. You'll find something that works for you though. I didn't have an advisor for more than 7 months and I still managed so I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
You're very welcome :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest