The Student Room Group

Surface pro 4 for uni?

Hey all was wondering if anyone has a SP4 and if it's good laptop for uni. I love the design pen portability etc and seems like it would be a good option for students. Due to one note editing powerpoints PDFs etc and even recording lectures.

Does anyone recommend this or any other laptop.
I was thinking about this for a while, then I thought a dictaphone along with a notepad and pen would probably be best for lectures so I can take notes quickly along with my laptop/phone in case I didn't do any pre-reading and need to look something up in the middle of a lecture. For everything else that needs a computer I'll have my desktop PC which can do everything I need.

Still, if you have the money and you were wanting to get one anyway then go for it, I certainly would if I could afford to.
Original post by Dannyboy2015
I was thinking about this for a while, then I thought a dictaphone along with a notepad and pen would probably be best for lectures so I can take notes quickly along with my laptop/phone in case I didn't do any pre-reading and need to look something up in the middle of a lecture. For everything else that needs a computer I'll have my desktop PC which can do everything I need.

Still, if you have the money and you were wanting to get one anyway then go for it, I certainly would if I could afford to.

Hi cheers for the response yeh the thing with the surface is you can record audio and video of lectures!!! And not only this once its done and youre writing or recording and then later on you remember something important in the lecture but cant remember, theres time stamps for wherrever you wrote and what the lecutre said at that time and if you cant remember a specific thing then you search it and it comes up! I have a desktop but one it sounds like plane getting ready to take off although i can run games etc on it with pretty decent specs i dont think i would get much use when i go on trains back home libaries etc where i can have my laptop with me since its very portable.
Reply 3
Original post by Dannyboy2015

It sounds like a good idea in theory but don't think the keyboard is good enough in practice (either the onscreen one, or the plug-in one) for it to be your only computer at uni.

We have a Surface 3 at home - not pro - and it's good for occasional use.
Reply 4
It is pretty good - however it is slightly old tech (believe it or not). Still no USB-C/Thunderbolt for example. I am personally waiting for the new things to arrive this October. I would love it if MS would release a Surface Pro 5 / Surface Book 2 this year, but looks unlikely.
Original post by mashbbk
It is pretty good - however it is slightly old tech (believe it or not). Still no USB-C/Thunderbolt for example. I am personally waiting for the new things to arrive this October. I would love it if MS would release a Surface Pro 5 / Surface Book 2 this year, but looks unlikely.

the surface pro 4 does have usb 3.0 which i suppose is ok
Original post by jneill
It sounds like a good idea in theory but don't think the keyboard is good enough in practice (either the onscreen one, or the plug-in one) for it to be your only computer at uni.

We have a Surface 3 at home - not pro - and it's good for occasional use.

Ah ive heard the same w the 3 but the pro4 has a better designed keyboard ( wider spacing larger trackpad) seems like software issues have been fixed.

im drawn to it because it looks so good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending