The Student Room Group

Car insurance/DVLA help?

So I just finished my first year at uni and have decided to bring my car up to uni for second year.I have 2 questionsDo I need to change the address with my insurer?and do I need to change the address with DVLAhttps://www.gov.uk/dvla-change-addressIt says at the bottom I do but does that mean each term I need to change it? and when I come back here for holidays I need to change it back again
Reply 1
Original post by LPauling
So I just finished my first year at uni and have decided to bring my car up to uni for second year.I have 2 questionsDo I need to change the address with my insurer?and do I need to change the address with DVLAhttps://www.gov.uk/dvla-change-addressIt says at the bottom I do but does that mean each term I need to change it? and when I come back here for holidays I need to change it back again

Your permanent address is still at home with your parents, and you can still receive and deal with any correspondence sent there. So no, you don't need to change the address with the DVLA. You might need to tell your insurer, but that depends what you told them when taking out the policy - if you told them that the car is kept on the drive at home, you'll need to change that.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Your permanent address is still at home with your parents, and you can still receive and deal with any correspondence sent there. So no, you don't need to change the address with the DVLA. You might need to tell your insurer, but that depends what you told them when taking out the policy - if you told them that the car is kept on the drive at home, you'll need to change that.

Well just the DVLA thing at the bottom of the link doesn't imply it is only for correspondence and specifically mention university? It says even if temporarily?

Original post by Juno

I agree
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

So you don't think the thing at the bottom of the link means for uni students?
Reply 5
I have no idea what the other posters in this thread are on about but the DVLA state that you should update both your license and V5C document to your Uni address. You are not living at home.

Get it updated. Any speeding tickets and other such documents will be sent to the address listed. You do not want to risk not getting you post for months and ending up in court. This is why they state you MUST change your address.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
I have no idea what the other posters in this thread are on about but the DVLA state that you should update both your license and V5C document to your Uni address. You are not living at home.

Get it updated. Any speeding tickets and other such documents will be sent to the address listed. You do not want to risk not getting you post for months and ending up in court. This is why they state you MUST change your address.

He hasn't moved, as home is his permanent address. Any letters sent there will be able to be dealt with. It's different if nobody at home will be able to open/forward post, but if there is someone (ie parents) then your scaremongering is invalid
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
He hasn't moved, as home is his permanent address. Any letters sent there will be able to be dealt with. It's different if nobody at home will be able to open/forward post, but if there is someone (ie parents) then your scaremongering is invalid

But he has moved, albeit temporarily??? As OP stated, it's on the website, and is also the advice of the call centre. For christs sake, its free to update, and saves you a lot of hassle should you miss a penalty notice. Laziness is not an excuse for avoiding a fine 😉
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
But he has moved, albeit temporarily??? As OP stated, it's on the website, and is also the advice of the call centre. For christs sake, its free to update, and saves you a lot of hassle should you miss a penalty notice. Laziness is not an excuse for avoiding a fine 😉

If your only argument is that post will be missed, university mail is much less secure than getting it delivered to a home address.
All the DVLA really care about is being able to contact you reasonably quickly in the event they need to. If you're happy for your parents to open your mail just leave the address as your home address.
This is a common occurrence with car insurance and students. You HAVE to change your address to your University address. Your insurance premium includes a risk factor based on where the car is being kept. For example, your premium will be higher if it's been kept in an area with a high occurrence of car thefts compared to another area.

If you doubt me on this, then I suggest you ring your insurer. Worst case scenario they tell you it's nothing to worry about. What will actually happen is they will tell you that you need to change it over to where the car is being kept the majority of the time. This has to be changed to your student address.

In regards to your registered address with the DVLA, this can be kept as your 'home' address.

Quick Reply

Latest