The Student Room Group

Italy: 10,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean in 48 hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joey11223
Makes literally no sense to have ships waiting practically on their coastline taking them to Italy, tow/take them back to land..as in the land they just departed from...which if they're only getting 15 miles will well be visible.

Not until you're 150ft above sea level
Original post by MildredMalone
Urgh, just why? A few fatalities would make people less likely to cross the Med, which is a good thing.

Disgusting, you actually support people dying just because it saves your precious country from its illusionary ills? Most of your problems are the fault of the tories, not immigrants buddy
Original post by Jammy Duel
Not until you're 150ft above sea level

Land with a height above sea level of only 34m can be seen at sea by an eye 2m above sea level at a distance of 15 nautical miles. There is plenty of land in Libya close to the coast that is over 500m above sea level and visible to that same eye huge distances away.
Original post by alevelstresss
Disgusting, you actually support people dying just because it saves your precious country from its illusionary ills? Most of your problems are the fault of the tories, not immigrants buddy

a) which problems do you think I'm imagining?

b) if they're ones relating to public services being cut, having lots more people here won't help the already straining services.
a) which problems do you think I'm imagining?

b) if they're ones relating to public services being cut, having lots more people here won't help the already straining services.

you talk about it being unsustainable, tell me, how sustainable is it to let innocent refugees die just because you think they cause problems when our own native population causes the exact same problems at a more massive rate
you talk about it being unsustainable, tell me, how sustainable is it to let innocent refugees die just because you think they cause problems when our own native population causes the exact same problems at a more massive rate

When services are being cut, the fewer people using them the better. Especially when such people are less likely to contribute to the country, and more likely to cause other problems.
When services are being cut, the fewer people using them the better. Especially when such people are less likely to contribute to the country, and more likely to cause other problems.

How do you know that these people are 'less likely to contribute to a country and cause problems' other than through some oversimplified, bigoted headlines from The Sun or Daily Express?

So true.
105,000 migrants alone entering Italy via boat after being rescued and it's still only August, most land on Greek islands or sneak into Bulgaria from Turkey.

I wonder the numbers will be for the entire EU by January, 1 million? 2 million?

Surely there has to be a point when the EU has to say no? Ireland only has a population of 4 million, Denmark just over 5 million. How can Europe cope with these numbers?
How do you know that these people are 'less likely to contribute to a country and cause problems' other than through some oversimplified, bigoted headlines from The Sun or Daily Express?

The articles beneath the headlines. Ever tried reading them?
Original post by remiremi
105,000 migrants alone entering Italy via boat after being rescued and it's still only August, most land on Greek islands or sneak into Bulgaria from Turkey.

I wonder the numbers will be for the entire EU by January, 1 million? 2 million?

Surely there has to be a point when the EU has to say no? Ireland only has a population of 4 million, Denmark just over 5 million. How can Europe cope with these numbers?

I don't know the laws but I don't think it is possible to refuse entry to refugees without first processing their claims (in the meantime, they'll have to stay in the country). Also, many refugees arrive after being rescued by the Greek and Italian coast guard (unless people suggest that they should look as they drown and do nothing, it's unavoidable)
The articles beneath the headlines. Ever tried reading them?

same nonsense, the right wing media of this country loves to make sales by incriminating muslim refugees
This will never stop until conditions improve in their countries of origin so people aren't desperate enough to try. Life can hardly be worth living if you're willing to risk this in the first place
Original post by JamesN88
This will never stop until conditions improve in their countries of origin so people aren't desperate enough to try. Life can hardly be worth living if you're willing to risk this in the first place

Their home nations are not going to get better. This will never stop until Europe becomes are terrible as the places they are coming from. The only way to stop it is to be strict and firm with them.
Original post by The_Opinion
I often like many of your posts, so I know that you are not some libtard. However, you have to pick a side, you either pick up the boat people and destroy our civilisation, or you let them die, and save the civilisation.
I think of it like this, how many people will die as a result of violence when Europe collapses and falls into a variety of civil wars / insurgencies, whatever the number will be, it will be a lot more than the number of people who would drown.

You can't just let thousands of people die. That is inhuman and evil in every way. I agree that there is a problem with taking in refugees- they believe in completely different values, and some of them do awful things like carrying out terror attacks and abusing women. That's a problem and that's why we shouldn't have a policy of taking in refugees, because of the risk that is involved. However, at the end of the day, they are all humans and as fellow humans, we need to save their lives if we have the opportunity to do so.

The best policy would be to stop the boats coming in the first place. Hunt down the traffickers running the bait operations in Libya and the other countries where the boats come from. Send back boats that come here. Australia has paid traffickers to send boats back. That could be an option. But we cannot let other human beings die if we have the opportunity to stop them. That's murder in my eyes.
Their home nations are not going to get better. This will never stop until Europe becomes are terrible as the places they are coming from. The only way to stop it is to be strict and firm with them.

Stability in Libya would go a long way towards bringing things under control. How you'd go about that though is anyone's guess. Also putting pressure on Eritrea to end its draconian military conscriptions would make a difference as well.

Morally you can't just leave people to drown.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
You can't just let thousands of people die. That is inhuman and evil in every way. I agree that there is a problem with taking in refugees- they believe in completely different values, and some of them do awful things like carrying out terror attacks and abusing women. That's a problem and that's why we shouldn't have a policy of taking in refugees, because of the risk that is involved. However, at the end of the day, they are all humans and as fellow humans, we need to save their lives if we have the opportunity to do so.

The best policy would be to stop the boats coming in the first place. Hunt down the traffickers running the bait operations in Libya and the other countries where the boats come from. Send back boats that come here. Australia has paid traffickers to send boats back. That could be an option. But we cannot let other human beings die if we have the opportunity to stop them. That's murder in my eyes.

Original post by JamesN88
Stability in Libya would go a long way towards bringing things under control. How you'd go about that though is anyone's guess. Also putting pressure on Eritrea to end its draconian military conscriptions would make a difference as well.

Morally you can't just leave people to drown.

Both of you basically make the same "moral" argument. There are two points to this, the first, if they come here, more people will die in our nations. If we rescue them, we encourage more people to make the journey, which further means that more people will drown. If the boats that saved them were to deliver EVERY person they pick up straight back to Africa / Turkey, and therefor stop them from dying whilst also not allowing them into Europe, I could tolerate that. However that policy cold only be used along side taking back EVERY migrants that lands in Italy straight back to Africa, no exceptions. That would remove the huge pull factor, however European politicians are too cowardly and stupid to do this.
Both of you basically make the same "moral" argument. There are two points to this, the first, if they come here, more people will die in our nations. If we rescue them, we encourage more people to make the journey, which further means that more people will drown. If the boats that saved them were to deliver EVERY person they pick up straight back to Africa / Turkey, and therefor stop them from dying whilst also not allowing them into Europe, I could tolerate that. However that policy cold only be used along side taking back EVERY migrants that lands in Italy straight back to Africa, no exceptions. That would remove the huge pull factor, however European politicians are too cowardly and stupid to do this.

is whinging about it the solution though? stop alienating these immigrants and maybe you'll realise that almost all of them are normal people with no ill intent
is whinging about it the solution though? stop alienating these immigrants and maybe you'll realise that almost all of them are normal people with no ill intent

Almost all of them?

So you're willing to accept a large group of people with completely different backgrounds, culture and general way of life, which will most definitely be infested by people who have no business in assimilating to western culture but to bring death terror and destruction because most of the people coming are decent people?

Absolute nonsense.
Whilst i agree, you didn't really address the point, its kind of like saying "i want everybody to be happy", it is hard to disagree with that, but the statement is idealistic and can never be achieved.

Original post by Jammy Duel
You didn't answer yje question, and they came from a Muslim country, through Muslim countries, to try to get to the rich countries.Posted from TSR Mobile

I just can't think that saving 10,000 people is bad news. If you saw a boatload of people drowning, and you had the option of either saving them or letting them die, which would you do? I just don't think saving drowning people's lives is the problem here. I think it's good. It's the housing them in European countries which is the problem. If we didn't open our borders in the first place, only a very few would try to come to Europe via the Med, and far less would die, but its not the saving them from drowning which in itself has lead them to try and make the crossing, its not the saving them which is the problem. The problem is opening our borders to them, but while this problem persists, I'd still rather save them than just sit back while they perish.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest