Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Groningen v Utrecht v Leiden

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I am planning on doing a masters degree in hopefully one of these three cities. Which is the best for an international (British) student, in terms of living, student life/night life and getting around?
    I have never visited the north or the Netherlands and have visited Amsterdam, Rotterdam and the Hague before. Is Groningen much different?

Also I am interested in the study abroad options so if one of these universities has better opportunities for this that is also helpful.

Hi there,

I am a student at Leiden, but have been to Utrecht, and know some Groningers as well. Size-wise Groningen and Leiden probably wouldn't feel too different, while Utrecht is a little bigger. Groningen is a little more isolated, being in the north of the Netherlands, but as the country is quite small it's still only a couple of hours away from the rest of the Netherlands. One of Leiden's great advantages is being only 15 minutes from the airport, so I have appreciated that flying back to the UK.

The nightlife would probably be best in Utrecht, but in both Utrecht and Leiden you would be close enough to get to Rotterdam, Den Haag, or Amsterdam for a night out. They all would have their own night-life of course, and if you make good friends in each city you may find yourself hanging out there. There are decent international communties in all three cities too, so you'd probably enjoy that. I am guessing that all of the universities would have good study abroad programmes, but I don't know if that would be possible within a 1 year masters.

I have loved living and studying in Leiden personally, and also think Utrecht is a very cool city. If you want to ask me a bit more I'd be happy to talk about my experiences here.

Thank you so much for your reply! Very helpful. All the masters courses I am looking at are 2 year courses I think that's why I was asking about study abroad. I may ask you more once I get applying and seeing what opportunities I get! Thanks again
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.