Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Advice for anyone wanting to do Openplus physics, but more interested in Astrophysics

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

If anyone is interested in Open-plus physics, but wants to follow more of an astrophysics route, I'll let you know what I've done with Sheffield.

Originally you are meant to study:

MST124 (30 credits) in the first year.
    S217 (60 credits) in the second year
    MST224 (30 credits) and SXPA288 (30 credits) in the third year.

Then you progress to the second year at your chosen University.

This route used to originally take 2 years rather than 3, but you have to study MST124 in order to get the math in S217. And it's highly recommended you need to have either studied MST224 or S217 before SXPA288. Now, I have heard people have studied the last 3 modules together over 1 year, but I'm uncertain as I was told what I said above. But at the end of the day, not everyone has the time to study 120 credits in one year. If you are, then I tip my hat to you. But for me, getting the best result possible was the goal. But I was put off by having to wait 3 years.

Now, the reason I wanted to study Physics was because I have a very high interest in Astrophysics. The only problem was most of the Universities that do Astrophysics for Open Plus students don't possess the merit I found in Sheffield, as well as content. Not only is the Physics & Astrophysics degree accredited by IoP, it is also 50:50 between the subjects. I got over excited about this, only to be put down as I would have to start in the first year at Sheffield as there are modules you study in the first year that are essential for . So I would have to do 3 years at Open then 4 years at Sheffield (3 if only a BSc).

But I managed to find a way around this that will take the same amount of time as a regular Open Plus student, but take off a year at Open by studying less modules. So instead of 3 years Open, 2 years Sheffield (BSc) I'd do 2 years Open, 3 years Sheffield.

I will be studying MST124/125 and S217. But I won't have to study MST224 and SXPA288, and I don't have to do the Residential School with Open either.

I've spent the last couple months communicating back and forth with Sheffield and the Open Plus team and found out MST124 doesn't cover the full A-Level syllabus, and whilst MST224 will extend that knowledge into Degree level, it would still mean studying separately and I'd be learning it in Year 1 at Sheffield anyway. So we had a look into MST125, which can be studied along side MST124, and we found both combined provides mathematics up to full A-Level standard. And whilst S217 does take you into degree level physics, it provides full A-level Physics equivalent.

Sheffield have been brilliant with researching all the details of the modules. Now I know this route will not appeal to everyone, and people may prefer other Universities. But it is my own opinion that Sheffield provides the best IoP Physics degree that has as much Astrophysics crammed in that is possible that is suitable for my own needs.

I just thought it was worth posting in case there's someone out there who is wanting the exact same thing from a degree as I am.

Another reason I'm posting it is that having gained qualifications that are A-level and above standard in Maths and Physics, it also open up a lot of doors to apply to Universities through UCAS. And it also saves the expensive costs of taking A-Level exams.Any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.