The Student Room Group

How to get an A overall in A level Maths?

I got my AS results and I got BCCD in biology chemistry physics and maths. I know not great results but good considering I left revision until a week or two before my first exam I did similar at GCSE but it was more effective then
(10A 1A* 1B)

Anyway in maths I got UCB in c1 c2 s1.
I'm planning to resit c1 and c2.
What do I need to get overall as + a2 to get an A at least.
In A2 were doing c3 c4 m1

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

480/600 ums marks
Original post by bobwibbles
I got my AS results and I got BCCD in biology chemistry physics and maths. I know not great results but good considering I left revision until a week or two before my first exam I did similar at GCSE but it was more effective then
(10A 1A* 1B)

I'm planning to resist c1 and c2.

Thank you.

what was your UMS?
(10A 1A* 1B)

I'm planning to resist c1 and c2.

Thank you.

Well you know what to do at A2, work more than a week before haha
Reply 4
Original post by citibankrec
what was your UMS?

174 marks? I'll send a pic of my results
Reply 5
Original post by LPauling
Well you know what to do at A2, work more than a week before haha

Yeh for sure hahahah.
Reply 6
Here's my breakdown of results
1.) Work Hard
2.) Work Hard
3.) Do ALL the Past Papers x2.
Reply 8
Original post by FailedMyMocks
1.) Work Hard
2.) Work Hard
3.) Do ALL the Past Papers x2.

That's my target. Hopefully I'll pull it off.
Here's my breakdown of results

You have 174 UMS marks so far. You need a total of 480 out of 600 UMS by the end of A2. At this current state, you can't get an A because even if you got full marks at A2, you would have 174 + 300 = 474 UMS marks so no unfortunately it doesn't equal or exceed 480 UMS. Definitely do resit C1 and C2 if you really want an A. You really need to work hard to pull off an A, good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also was the actual edexcel a level maths exams out of 100 as they're normally out of 75? 480/600 ums sounds ok and quite doable.
Thanks everyone.
Also was the actual edexcel a level maths exams out of 100 as they're normally out of 75? 480/600 ums sounds ok and quite doable.
Thanks everyone.

UMS and Marks are different.

To get full UMS you need to get close but not exactly full marks on a paper.
Original post by ManLike007
You have 174 UMS marks so far. You need a total of 480 out of 600 UMS by the end of A2. At this current state, you can't get an A because even if you got full marks at A2, you would have 174 + 300 = 474 UMS marks so no unfortunately it doesn't equal or exceed 480 UMS. Definitely do resit C1 and C2 if you really want an A. You really need to work to pull off an A, good luck.

I definitely am resist ting c1 and c2 hopefully c1 isn't a nightmare like it was in 2016.
I averaged As in every c1 past paper part from this one. I'm buying my original c1 and c2 papers for revision also.
Thanks everyone.

Maths papers as far as I know are out of 75 marks. In terms of UMS, they're out of 100.

Yes they are different. I remember checking the edexcel grade boundaries and I was 6 marks off a C.
180/300 is a C. So I got 174 marks right? I'm not sure I'm going to check the boundaries again.
Resit C1 and C2. Consider self teaching S2 instead of M1.
Yes they are different. I remember checking the edexcel grade boundaries and I was 6 marks off a C.
180/300 is a C. So I got 174 marks right? I'm not sure I'm going to check the boundaries again.

Nope I remembered wrong. I got 174 UMS that makes much more Sense now!
So 6 UMS off a c which could be 2-4 marks
Original post by SeanFM
Resit C1 and C2. Consider self teaching S2 instead of M1.

Is S2 much easier than M1 which is why your suggesting that? I may have a go at that.
But tbh I hated s1 and I found it the easiest.

Is m1 much harder than what we did in AS physics?

unless its c4 and they mug you off with the ums so even 71/75 only gives you 92ums smh
Is S2 much easier than M1 which is why your suggesting that? I may have a go at that.
But tbh I hated s1 and I found it the easiest.

Is m1 much harder than what we did in AS physics?

In my view, yes. In some ways, S2 is easier than S1. S1 covers all sorts of weird things but S2 feels more standard.

M1 on the other hand, I've seen people struggle despite being taught. It is more difficult than AS Physics mechanics stuff, yes, though a lot of the topics are very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest