The Student Room Group

Help with deciding Oxford or Cambridge

Hi everyone,

I am about to enter year 13 and I was wondering whether you could help me with this decision. I have particularly enjoyed reading and studying the scientific side of medicine for the past year and this has influenced my decision to choose universities with a primarily academic medicine course. Consequently, I would like to choose Oxford/Cambridge as my first choice and imperial as my second. I've visited Oxford twice and talked to some of the admissions team and I think my application may be suited to their requirements. I haven't been to Cambridge but I've read up on their website and spoke to few Cambridge medics about their experience. I think I would enjoy either of the two universities but to decide which one to apply to, I need to consider a number of factors. From an academic point of view, what would you guys recommend, given my academic profile? Do I have similar chances at either uni?
GCSES 11 A*s
I have only done a formal maths AS with 93/99/94 in C1/C2/S1. I believe either universities don't take into account raw marks of internal exams but I'd like to mention I performed the best at chemistry and physics and quite well in biology in the internal mocks in school and I am predicted for 4A*s. Is there anyway I can emphasise this to my advantage? Would either universities care about my relative performance? I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant because I really do want some genuine advice. Thanks for all your help.
Hi, I've just started year 13 as well, and basically in the same boat as you. When I saw this thread I was pretty glad I'm not the only one struggling with this decision.

Basically from what I've read and heard (threads on here, meeting with admissions tutors, speaking to students (my sister is at Cambridge)), your grades are perfect for oxbridge. You're perfectly capable of making a competitive application, as long as you have a passion and love for your subject. I think I remember reading on here that the average number of A*s for successful Oxford applicants was about 9? So you're set.

Furthermore, the only way to emphasise your abilities would be through your application and interview. I'm not sure because you're studying medicine, but have you sat the BMAT yet? If I'm correct, both universities require it and so that would give you a chance to really show them just how good you are. Also, if you got an interview, that's another chance to really show off your skills. At the moment, I have no idea what Cambridge are doing with UMS/raw marks (I've asked on the admissions tutor thread so hopefully I will get a response), but I know for sure that Oxford does not take them into account.

Well done on your amazing results!
Original post by violavenisis

Update: Cambridge aren't asking for raw marks in reformed subjects. Schools can submit them if they wish though.
Reply 3
Hi, I've just started year 13 as well, and basically in the same boat as you. When I saw this thread I was pretty glad I'm not the only one struggling with this decision.

Basically from what I've read and heard (threads on here, meeting with admissions tutors, speaking to students (my sister is at Cambridge)), your grades are perfect for oxbridge. You're perfectly capable of making a competitive application, as long as you have a passion and love for your subject. I think I remember reading on here that the average number of A*s for successful Oxford applicants was about 9? So you're set.

Furthermore, the only way to emphasise your abilities would be through your application and interview. I'm not sure because you're studying medicine, but have you sat the BMAT yet? If I'm correct, both universities require it and so that would give you a chance to really show them just how good you are. Also, if you got an interview, that's another chance to really show off your skills. At the moment, I have no idea what Cambridge are doing with UMS/raw marks (I've asked on the admissions tutor thread so hopefully I will get a response), but I know for sure that Oxford does not take them into account.

Well done on your amazing results!

Thanks for your reply! It's reassuring to know there are others confronting the same difficulties I am, especially given the level of uncertainty this year. With regards to the BMAT, applications, as far as I know, haven't opened yet. The test will be in November, I think, which adds more uncertainty to mix since you only find your results out after applying. Ideally, I would want to minimise the risk by choosing the university with a lower BMAT requirement, but I understand that it is oxbridge and there is a certain degree of unpredictability you cannot account for. I do remember that Oxford combine gcses and bmat to decide who to interview, which would be very favourable for me. The only thing that worries me about Cambridge is that from some rough research, the average offer holder for medicine does appear to have a higher ums average than 95. I believe in 2014, the lowest quintile for Cambridge medicine had an average ums of 95.1, which is just below my official 95.3. As my other subjects cannot influence my official ums, I wonder whether I am better off applying to Oxford.
Comparatively: Cambridge med school is about twice the size. Cambridge has more emphasis on anatomy less on physiology. Oxford's intercalation period is longer (about 15 months) vs Cambridge's standard 1 year. More variety of intercalation options at Cambridge (though the oft cited ability to choose anything you like including law/philosophy/physics is increasingly rare). Oxford you can choose to go to London after 3 years. Oxford you might be forced to go to London after 3 years. Cambridge will likely have more DGH time during clinical. Cambridge has a very short (7 weeks), and pre-finals, elective period.

Oxford applicants was about 9?

10.6. Obv OP is still fine.

...but have you sat the BMAT yet?

The bmat is a post-application test.
Reply 5
Original post by Foreboding
Hi everyone,

I am about to enter year 13 and I was wondering whether you could help me with this decision. I have particularly enjoyed reading and studying the scientific side of medicine for the past year and this has influenced my decision to choose universities with a primarily academic medicine course. Consequently, I would like to choose Oxford/Cambridge as my first choice and imperial as my second. I've visited Oxford twice and talked to some of the admissions team and I think my application may be suited to their requirements. I haven't been to Cambridge but I've read up on their website and spoke to few Cambridge medics about their experience. I think I would enjoy either of the two universities but to decide which one to apply to, I need to consider a number of factors. From an academic point of view, what would you guys recommend, given my academic profile? Do I have similar chances at either uni?
GCSES 11 A*s
I have only done a formal maths AS with 93/99/94 in C1/C2/S1. I believe either universities don't take into account raw marks of internal exams but I'd like to mention I performed the best at chemistry and physics and quite well in biology in the internal mocks in school and I am predicted for 4A*s. Is there anyway I can emphasise this to my advantage? Would either universities care about my relative performance? I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant because I really do want some genuine advice. Thanks for all your help.

A distinction between Cambridge and Oxford in the application process used to be the emphasis on UMS marks vs GCSE + BMAT respectively. Since UMS marks are now out of the picture, the selection process should be more or less the same. Oxford has always preferred good GCSEs with high percentage of A*s however.

In my opinion, you would stand an equal chance on both unis. Other things to consider to help you decide is the city, the colleges and differences in the course.
I do remember that Oxford combine gcses and bmat to decide who to interview, which would be very favourable for me.

I'd remove the 'very' but otherwise yes!

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

The only thing that worries me about Cambridge is that from some rough research, the average offer holder for medicine does appear to have a higher ums average than 95. .

Source? edit: below, thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
Source? That's definitely not true. Sources I have seen, which I will cite later, have the average for an offer holder at about 95, with plenty of offers down to 92ish

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ums_statistics_for_medicine_a100
This freedom of information request shows the average ums for a medicine offer by quintile. The median score in 2015 was 97.0
Thanks for your help!
Reply 8
Hi,
Im also in a similar position where I'm considering applying to Cambridge, since I really enjoyed the atmosphere at the open day. However, I wanted to ask whether any of you think I should even attempt applying when my average UMS for Maths was 86 which is well below what I'm seeing above. On the open day, one of the ladies at the medicine stall even told me that a UMS above 93 is ideal, and anything below is not worth applying with. I do have 9 A*s at GCSE and 4 A's in total, so I'm not sure if I'm just wasting an application or not.

Any advice would be appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ums_statistics_for_medicine_a100
This freedom of information request shows the average ums for a medicine offer by quintile. The median score in 2015 was 97.0
Thanks for your help!

Very interesting - things have changed a lot in not very long!
Better suited for oxford. UMS average for maths is pretty average for a Cam medic. With your GCSE's I'd only go for Cam if I had a 97+% UMS average.So in terms of chances, Oxford is less risky for you. It depends though, you need to consider what secondary school you came from. If your secondary school's pass rate is 75% or below, id say Oxford will be strong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending