The Student Room Group

**URGENT* Will I get into law school with these A Levels I've chosen!?

Ive recently chosen my A Levels and confirmed them at enrolment. I chose Law, Psychology and Sociology but people are beginning to tell me sociology wont get me anywhere. Im wondering whether to change sociology to maths or biology. I plan on still taking psychology since its still essay-based and can come in useful. Will i be accepted into law school with Law, Psychology and Sociology? Or will i be accepted if i change Sociology to Maths/Biology? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My friend studies Law at Greenwich, and her lecturers (including visiting ones) say they don't like A Level Law because it teaches you in a way that is unlike how a Law degree is taught. On the other hand, another friend of mine just graduated from Cambridge and took it to A2. Email universities and ask :smile:
There's nothing stopping you from being accepted at most universities with those subjects, however your application would be stronger if you took a traditional essay subject like History, English Lit or Geography. A Level Law also isn't needed for a Law degree, so perhaps you could consider another subject in place of that too? Just a thought :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
My friend studies Law at Greenwich, and her lecturers (including visiting ones) say they don't like A Level Law because it teaches you in a way that is unlike how a Law degree is taught. On the other hand, another friend of mine just graduated from Cambridge and took it to A2. Email universities and ask :smile:

Anna.Karenina, thanks for the suggestion. I will email several universities to find out x
Original post by Leviathan1741
There's nothing stopping you from being accepted at most universities with those subjects, however your application would be stronger if you took a traditional essay subject like History, English Lit or Geography. A Level Law also isn't needed for a Law degree, so perhaps you could consider another subject in place of that too? Just a thought :smile:

Leviathan1741, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of taking English Lit since I didn't take History or Geography at GCSE, I did get a B in English Lit although it's not the most best of subjects for me. Should I take a risk? Or would you have to have a lot of interest in the course to be successful in it?
Original post by Misha.sinha10
Leviathan1741, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of taking English Lit since I didn't take History or Geography at GCSE, I did get a B in English Lit although it's not the most best of subjects for me. Should I take a risk? Or would you have to have a lot of interest in the course to be successful in it?

I'm afraid I can't give much advice on English Literature A Level as I didn't study it myself. Like Anna.Karenina suggested though, it'd be a good idea to email the universities you're interested in and ask whether they would accept your current subject combination for Law. Try not to put any unnecessary pressure on yourself by taking a subject you aren't confident in unless you have to :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm afraid I can't give much advice on English Literature A Level as I didn't study it myself. Like Anna.Karenina suggested though, it'd be a good idea to email the universities you're interested in and ask whether they would accept your current subject combination for Law. Try not to put any unnecessary pressure on yourself by taking a subject you aren't confident in unless you have to :smile:

Leviathan1741, thanks again, you've been a great help. I will be sure to contact nearby universities as soon as I can. I just hope I can still change my courses before I start college. :smile:
I wouldn't study English Literature if you're not confident in your ability - it's tricky :smile: What were your GCSE results by subject?
Do the ones you will get the best grades in/ enjoy. Grades matter. 1 essay subject is helpful, I found history to be pretty good, but any A levels are fine except maybe soft academic ones.

A level law tends not to give you any advantage on your application, but I think it can be useful for some one youe degree as a bit of a primer.

Grades matter though.

Do an EPQ of you are that worried. That will help refocus your interest on law.
Original post by Misha.sinha10
Ive recently chosen my A Levels and confirmed them at enrolment. I chose Law, Psychology and Sociology but people are beginning to tell me sociology wont get me anywhere. Im wondering whether to change sociology to maths or biology. I plan on still taking psychology since its still essay-based and can come in useful. Will i be accepted into law school with Law, Psychology and Sociology? Or will i be accepted if i change Sociology to Maths/Biology? Thanks.

Hi, I'm going to be studying Law at Uni im October. Whilst your A-Levels might not get you into a top uni, they will get you into a good/okay uni. I know friends with similar A-Levels who are studying at Liverpool, Cardiff, and unis like Reading, which is relatively decent for Law.
If you want to study at Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick etc you might want to reconsider. Otherwise, of course, you'll get into a Law school of adequate standing with very good grades in those subjects.
If in doubt, call up a Uni you're thinking off- or ask a parent to do it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hudamh
Hi, I'm going to be studying Law at Uni im October. Whilst your A-Levels might not get you into a top uni, they will get you into a good/okay uni. I know friends with similar A-Levels who are studying at Liverpool, Cardiff, and unis like Reading, which is relatively decent for Law.
If you want to study at Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick etc you might want to reconsider. Otherwise, of course, you'll get into a Law school of adequate standing with very good grades in those subjects.
If in doubt, call up a Uni you're thinking off- or ask a parent to do it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if she got 3A* they wouldnt consider her because of the subject?
Reply 11
Original post by hudamh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just do subjects that interest you. Most unis really don't care what you do - and if they do they would explicitly list it as a required subject. If you are worried, e-mail potential unis just in case, but these options seem fine to me. I would ignore hudamh, if you were to get a really good grade in each subject, nothing stops you from going to top unis :smile:
It's worth a read of http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-law

(and pointing out that although LSE have Law as a "non preferred" subject - they have both Psychology and Sociology as "preferred" so for a Law application that would be absolutely fine http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx )
As long as you get good enough grades for these subjects you should be fine. And by good I mean A*A*A or more. However, if you are looking for stronger subjects that will brighten your chances then you should try and include a traditional subject such as English literature or history. If you haven't studied history at GCSE then you should talk to your sixth form as some allow students to take a subject without having studied it at GCSE. Another good option would be RS. If your college doesn't offer law I wouldn't worry too much about it as it isn't necessary anyway. Unfortunately, all 3 of your subjects are regarded as 'soft' subjects by some unis hence you may want to reconsider some of your subjects otherwise just work to make sure you get the best grades in these.
Yes, like others have said, you don't need law and universities don't like it
Original post by Starlight2000
Yes, like others have said, you don't need law and universities don't like it

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-law

Law is the second most common A level for students starting law degrees....I doubt that would be the case if universities dislike it

Top Ten A-Levels for Law by area

40% - History
33% - Law
29% - English Literature
24% - Psychology
22% - Mathematics
21% - General Studies
17% - English Language
16% - Business Studies
15% - Sociology
15% - Biology

http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=Stats
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by hudamh

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's incorrect. Bar a few colleges are Cambridge and possibly LSE, she won't have any problem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Law and Psychology will not be too much of an issue, Sociology has never been looked at well. Some unis are fussy and accept only certain A levels but most are quite flexible bar Oxbridge and the top London unis etc. Southampton ask you to take 2 traditional subjects for example. I'm starting Law at Uni of Manchester in 3 weeks, they welcome all A level subjects, but do have certain grade requirements for GCSE Eng and Maths. On the whole it is advisable to do Eng Lit and History as they are essay subjects and you need strong writing skills for Law. Did Eng Lit, History and Law at A level myself.
Reply 18
Original post by ORW
Law and Psychology will not be too much of an issue, Sociology has never been looked at well. Some unis are fussy and accept only certain A levels but most are quite flexible bar Oxbridge and the top London unis etc. Southampton ask you to take 2 traditional subjects for example. I'm starting Law at Uni of Manchester in 3 weeks, they welcome all A level subjects, but do have certain grade requirements for GCSE Eng and Maths. On the whole it is advisable to do Eng Lit and History as they are essay subjects and you need strong writing skills for Law. Did Eng Lit, History and Law at A level myself.

Stop spreading misinformation people.

Only a few (at most two) colleges at Cambridge and LSE care whether the OP has taken sociology or whatnot (and they still accept it). Oxford and the rest of the unis (incl. UCL, KCL) do not mind.
Reply 19
Hi, I got A* in English lit, A in economics and B in history in my A level's this year. I am taking a gap year, do i stand a chance applying for law at universities who ask for AAA? Thanks, any advice would be amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest