Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenance Loan Overpayment

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I'm currently starting my 3rd and final year of my undergrad course. I applied for a higher maintenance loan and grant this year as well as the previous two years.
    I am studying full time and my living situation is at home with parents who earn under £20,000 which has not changed.
    After submitting my application, I noticed that my maintenance loan had decreased a lot so I called up SFE. I was told that the amount of maintenance loan decreases in the final year as the summer is not covered which WAS fine, but they also said that I have been overpaid the past two years as the system has me down as living away from home in London, and I will need to repay the overpayments.
    I have filled in this application 3 times now and I always put down living at home and they have previously given me the high amount but this time they're telling me that "the system says I have been living away from home for the past 2 years and since this time I am living at home, the loan has been reduced".
    They are sending me forms for change of circumstance to show that I have been living at home. I'm not sure what to do as I definitely did not put down living away and am going to be asked make repayments when I am not in a financial condition to do so.

    Hi there.

    When applying you would have been asked where your living location was, whether this was home or elsewhere. You can normally change this by doing so online or sending in a 'Change of Circumstances' form, so it's unusual that this would have been changed by anyone else.

    What normally happens with an overpayment for continuing students, is that your new entitlement for your latest year will be reduced to balance this out, meaning you don't have to physically pay anything back from your own pocket.

    If you feel you'll be unable to study with the reduction you can write to our 'Discretionary Payments' team and request the overpayment be deferred which means you would not have to deal with it until your course is complete.

    You would need to send evidence such as your last 3 months bank statements to show your financial status as well as any evidence of obligations you have such as utility bills, phone bills, etc.

    Their details are:

    E-mail - [email protected]

    Address - Discretionary Payments team,
    Student Finance England
    Memphis Building
    Lingfield Point
    PO Box 120
    DL1 1AS.

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.