The Student Room Group

TSA score good enough?

Hi,
I am thinking about applying to Oxford for E&M and have completed a couple TSA past papers recently. I have scored around 58 for both, and am hoping by the time the TSA comes around I can push this to around 63-65. Is a TSA score of 63-65 good enough for an interview for E&M, or will it need to be nearer to 70 to ensure a good chance at an interview? many thanks
Original post by Khaleesi111
Hi,
I am thinking about applying to Oxford for E&M and have completed a couple TSA past papers recently. I have scored around 58 for both, and am hoping by the time the TSA comes around I can push this to around 63-65. Is a TSA score of 63-65 good enough for an interview for E&M, or will it need to be nearer to 70 to ensure a good chance at an interview? many thanks

Hi as E&M is such a competitive subject and as TSA is pretty much the determinant of whether they give you an interview or not, I reckon it would have to be 70+ to ensure an interview.
I do believe though that if you fall short in one aspect, you can make up for it in another, but E&M seems notoriously demanding for a high TSA score.
Last year two of my friends applied for E&M and were rejected pre-interview. Both had an average of 90+% UMS at AS and one of them scored exceptionally highly in the TSA (Section A), they were speculating that it might have been the Section B essay as they might have misinterpreted the question. So you see there really is no guarantee when it comes to stuff like this and 'accidents' can happen. I'd say just make sure that every aspect of your application is strong, particularly the TSA as it would serve you well nonetheless, as we can't argue with the fact that statistically it is true that successful E&M applicants score at least 67 (or high 60s) for the Section A.
Original post by MoonVirgo
Hi as E&M is such a competitive subject and as TSA is pretty much the determinant of whether they give you an interview or not, I reckon it would have to be 70+ to ensure an interview.
I do believe though that if you fall short in one aspect, you can make up for it in another, but E&M seems notoriously demanding for a high TSA score.
Last year two of my friends applied for E&M and were rejected pre-interview. Both had an average of 90+% UMS at AS and one of them scored exceptionally highly in the TSA (Section A), they were speculating that it might have been the Section B essay as they might have misinterpreted the question. So you see there really is no guarantee when it comes to stuff like this and 'accidents' can happen. I'd say just make sure that every aspect of your application is strong, particularly the TSA as it would serve you well nonetheless, as we can't argue with the fact that statistically it is true that successful E&M applicants score at least 67 (or high 60s) for the Section A.

Hey, thanks for the reply! So a score of about 65+ is definitely required for an interview. I have achieved AAAAC in my AS Levels and I am predicted A*A*A for A2. Do you think a score of around 65 in the TSA could be made up by my predicted grades and AS results? Thank you
Hey, thanks for the reply! So a score of about 65+ is definitely required for an interview. I have achieved AAAAC in my AS Levels and I am predicted A*A*A for A2. Do you think a score of around 65 in the TSA could be made up by my predicted grades and AS results? Thank you

You've already achieved the maximum grades at AS now (overlooking that C which I suppose you'd probably drop) so that's a good position to be. They're not particularly fussy about predicted grades as long as they make the minimum entry requirement (for E&M it's A*AA isn't it?), so the A*A*A is fine too. Now you need to look at your GCSE grades. Remember E&M is the most difficult subject to get into at Oxford so you'll need a chain of A*s. Oxford also puts more emphasis on GCSE in terms of academic grades so your GCSEs need to be very strong.

I would still say 70+ for TSA just to be safe, unless you also have a killer PS and happen to cook up something really interesting and intellectual in your Section B (essay) response (I'm emphasising this cos here is where my two friends fell down last year, but then of course this is just one individual case). I'd imagine that you can only allow yourself to fall short in 1 aspect of your application because E&M is so unbelievably competitive. Very best of luck!! x
(edited 7 years ago)
I heard that Oxford sometimes don't even read your PS before the interview lol, even on their website it recommends that you write it for your other unis. I applied for PPE and got an interview with a score of 63 last year, where the cut-off is usually 60. For E&M I don't think this would have been good enough, I think you want to aim for at least 67 tbh. Having high predicted grades won't matter in the slightest since everyone will have them, so you want to concentrate on the TSA and interview.
Hi,

I got in with TSA score of 66.1 iirc (no higher). I know people who got in with lower, so yes 63-65 is a fine range. FYI this was for 2015 entry.

Having said that, the higher your result the better your chance. The majority of people that get in do have higher scores (70s+, a couple w 80+). Tutors believe and agree that there is a strong correlation between TSA scores and final degree classifications, so they put a decent amount of emphasis on it. Just do your best. It's one part of the whole application, so make sure your grades/ PS/ reference etc are all good too.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending