The Student Room Group

Politics generally without history?

I am doing a total of 11 gcse's, sitting them next year. I am predicted 11 a stars and the vast majority of people in our school do achieve that (although its starting to lower a bit). I have only just learned we have to make our a level choices around february. I am adamant on doing geography and maths for A level, but besides from this I really do want to do politics, as i have a great interest in this, current affairs, etc. However i dropped history and am not doing history at gcse. I won a prize for geography in such a high performing school anyway, and hopefully will try to get an a star in maths as well at a level, but my question is simple. Is it worth me doing politics as an A level? or do you think that as i have dropped history would it be unwise to take politics? also, how much do top universities such as Oxford and Cambridge (if they do) prefer pupils with a history gcse and a level? I have sat a careers 'test' and am talking to my advisors at school in a month or two but i posted here just because i wanted to get an opinion from you guys?
(edited 7 years ago)
What you need at A level will depend on what you want to study at uni so have a look at entry requirements for courses you're interested in and then decide. GCSE results don't tend to affect applications massively.
Russel group universities would prefer A-Level History rather than A-Level Politics, but if you think you'll do well then choose it. Also it depends on the university course you want to do - check university entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest