Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reply quality on TSR

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

If this is a community full of higher education students such as myself, then how come I only see 1 out of 500 people write decent, well thought-out and eloquent replies? Most replies are chat-style and punctuation-lacking with vapid responses. Do we ever think two minutes before we write anymore? Come on.

I don't know about other universities, but mine (a Catholic university) has always taught me to be strict, correct, follow the rules and produce high quality prose. For example, during our language recap session in our English literature 101 course in freshman year we were always taught to review the chapters on 'basic writing' and 'professional writing'. There, it was stipulated there are a few key steps you have to take before you jot down a reply. In other words, every paragraph consists a new, separate and congruent thought (d'oh) and we continue our thoughts for the reader with signal words. The basics, right? This basic skill seems to be missing here on these forums, unless my view is skewed and I haven't seen enough posts to judge correctly.

I know I don't have to expect educated writing in other forums on the internet, but in a student place for higher education, where the world's brightest minds gather, I would expect a little bit more structure.

I hope my genuine concern is recognized and this generation's literacy is not compromised.

But in all honesty, this is a student forum; it is not meant to be serious, especially when lots of students just want to be children again (well at least according to my older sister).
    In addition, this site is frankly a fantastic place to procrastinate, to avoid the rigor of exams and school. Perfect English and grammar in every sentence would honestly be a pain to many.
    So, in conclusion 571122, there is a myriad of websites on the internet where you will see students comment with fantastic eloquence. This generation's literacy may be compromised, but you should not determine that from this student website.

EDIT: Wow my witty comment got deleted. Interesting to say the least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.