The Student Room Group

Maths for medicine

Hi everyone,I am in my year 2 of A levels and I am doing maths,biology,chemistry and spanish,I got DDD and an A in Spanish, I wanted to do medicine but got really bad grades,I am thinking about gap year but I don't know whether to drop maths or Spanish,I have heard that universities don't require maths for medicine, and I also got an A in Spanish,is it okay if I drop maths??
Drop maths, no point keeping something on which you got a D in rather than something you got an A in. All you need to essentially keep is your chemistry and biology
Reply 2
Keep Chemistry and Biology, drop Maths. Then smash the chosen subjects and get A*/As.
But just avoid universities that might put more emphasis/recommend on the 3rd subject being Physics/Maths.
Good luck !
Reply 3
U think universities will accept me for medicine looking at a D at As if I drop it? Or should i just resit it?
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

Because of the new reforms, most unis won't be looking at AS grades anyway so you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Juststudent
U think universities will accept me for medicine looking at a D at As if I drop it? Or should i just resit it?

Just avoid medical schools that have entry requirements like AAAb or AAAc. Although I don't think they look at AS-levels from 2017, so you should be fine in that regard.
A lot of medical schools (if not, all) require you to have finished A-levels within 2 years. So plan properly, and work towards getting AAA minimum, try to get at least one A*. Then, make sure you do really well in UKCAT/BMAT.
Reply 6
Original post by NPWorld
Keep Chemistry and Biology, drop Maths. Then smash the chosen subjects and get A*/As.
But just avoid universities that might put more emphasis/recommend on the 3rd subject being Physics/Maths.
Good luck !

Thanks, but do u think there's a chance If I don't take a gap year and my teachers predict me the grades I need??
Reply 7
Original post by Juststudent
Thanks, but do u think there's a chance If I don't take a gap year and my teachers predict me the grades I need??

That really depends on your school and teacher (in my case, I knew my teachers for so long, I told them what predicted grades I wanted :biggrin:). Ask them for their opinion. Personally I wouldn't do a gap year. Why waste a year ? Medicine is long as it is, so try and get into a med school ASAP.

This is my opinion, although gap years can be a great thing if used properly. I had to take a gap year, and it was great :smile:

Here's the thing, as long as you get AAA within 2 years and you have the motivation to become a doctor, there is nothing that can ever stop you from getting into a med school.

Quick Reply

Latest