The Student Room Group

Changing my course to Vet Medicine.. Is it too late?

I live in Derbyshire but I'm just about to go into my second year of Graphic Design at Brighton Uni.
Since I was about 13, becoming a Vet has been my dream job, I have plenty of work experience at my local vets, good GCSE grades (A*s, As, Bs). I've just been discouraged for stupid reasons, and ended up leaving school and getting an apprenticeship in Graphic Design. I only have Level 3 diplomas in IT, no A Levels.
I want to move back home and study at Nottingham. I see they have options for a gateway year and a preliminary year (I can't decide which suits my situation better).
It's now early September, I'm aware I've left it very late but it's been such a huge decision to make but I know that I feel sure now.
So, do we think it's even possible to start the degree this month - with a foundation year of course - this late, with no A Levels?
I'm just stressed out to the max so any useful advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by megancashmore
I live in Derbyshire but I'm just about to go into my second year of Graphic Design at Brighton Uni.
Since I was about 13, becoming a Vet has been my dream job, I have plenty of work experience at my local vets, good GCSE grades (A*s, As, Bs). I've just been discouraged for stupid reasons, and ended up leaving school and getting an apprenticeship in Graphic Design. I only have Level 3 diplomas in IT, no A Levels.
I want to move back home and study at Nottingham. I see they have options for a gateway year and a preliminary year (I can't decide which suits my situation better).
It's now early September, I'm aware I've left it very late but it's been such a huge decision to make but I know that I feel sure now.
So, do we think it's even possible to start the degree this month - with a foundation year of course - this late, with no A Levels?
I'm just stressed out to the max so any useful advice would be much appreciated.

Ok looked into this it appears they both require A levels ior equivalent. Its also imo late becayse these courses will have been heavily booked up.

Ring them and make enquiries.

1. The prelim year requires AAB at A level.
Looks to be for students who dont have all science A levels.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/veterinarymedicineandscience/veterinary-medicine-surgery-preliminary-year.aspx

2. The gateway year requyires BBC at A level

but it has additional requirements

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/veterinarymedicineandscience/veterinary-medicine-surgery-preliminary-year.aspx

Students must fulfil at least 3 of the following criteria:

Being a first generation entrant to Higher Education

Family, cultural or financial reasons for needing to study in the East Midlands

Attending a school or college without a strong tradition of progression to Higher Education

Attending a school or college with a low average A level score

Living in a deprived home location

Being (or having been) a refugee

Being (or having been) in local authority care (looked after)

Other disadvantaging circumstances (reviewed on an individual basis)

If you qualify for the gateway criteria then apply for that as you need lower A levels, its all the same course.

If you wnat to be a Vet then no need to give up on your dreams just do A levels or an Access course. It will take a bit longer.
Oh and I would warn you now. If you start your 2nd year of Uni then funding is an absolute issue. If you wnat to be a vet then you need to take urgent advice on whether you need to leave your course now becayse SFE might not fund you for the Vet course if you are every accepted.

Ask PQ, but its imperative you get this checked and dont start incurring charges for your 2nd year otherwise thats a years funding lost and that could be tens of thousands of £s you have to find yourself.

Please get that checked immediately before its too late.
Reply 3

The gateway courses are no less competitive than the 5 year vet med and like this course places are absolutely filled for this year, that aside you will still need to fulfil the A level requirements which tigger has mentioned, and apply by mid October, with suitable work experience to even be considered for interview. Maybe look into starting a levels this year and apply for 2018 entry? To be honest, as you'll need to sit A levels for the first time, you can still apply for 6 year courses, but you should really be considering a standard 5 year vet med degree and trying to achieve AAA/AAB in your A levels

Edit: there are only 5 places on Notts' gateway course and you'll need BB in biology and chemistry and C in a 3rd subject and "Students must fulfil at least 3 of the following criteria:
Being a first generation entrant to Higher Education Family, cultural or financial reasons for needing to study in the East MidlandsAttending a school or college without a strong tradition of progression to Higher EducationAttending a school or college with a low average A level scoreLiving in a deprived home locationBeing (or having been) a refugeeBeing (or having been) in local authority care (looked after)Other disadvantaging circumstances (reviewed on an individual basis)"
(edited 7 years ago)

You cannot start a veterinary degree this month unfortunately. Applicants must apply through ucas, be interviewed and then offered a place. You also would not be accepted without A levels either.

Your best option would be to take a year out - drop out of your current degree if you want to be funded via student finance for the vet med degree - if you complete your current degree you'll be applying as a grad student and you're then liable to pay a minimum of £9000 a year yourself for fees, with NO help from student finance. You will need to get the grades to get on to the degree and apply through ucas, and as others have said I would also recommend you apply for 2017 entry, if not 2018.

By purely wanting to move back to Notts you're limiting yourself massively by only applying to one university. You'll increase your chances massively by applying to the 4 options you have to apply to - never limit yourself to one university.

You also need more than just work experience in your local vets - you need husbandry on top of it as well as another different practice. Most of the vet schools require some form of farm placements/kennels/riding establishments. You'll be up against applicants who have been preparing their application for years and years. You have a hell of a lot of competition so you need to make your application just as strong as everyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending