The Student Room Group

Why do we need a license for a TV?

I can understand why we need a license to operate or own dangerous equipment such as firearms, cars, heavy plant machinery etc. But why do we need a license to for something even a child can operate safely? Doesnt make sense. Surprised we dont need a license to cycle or use a hooker.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oops, meant *cooker. Dam auto-correct thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Laomedeia
I can understand why we need a license to operate or own dangerous equipment such as firearms, cars, heavy plant machinery etc. But why do we need a license to for something even a child can operate safely? Doesnt make sense. Surprised we dont need a license to cycle or use a hooker.

It's a scam since you don't actually need one. You only need a TV license to watch live programmes on the BBC.

As long as you don't let them in your house and tell them you dont own a TV, which they can't prove, you could save £100+ a year.
Reply 3
Original post by AAls
It's a scam since you don't actually need one. You only need a TV license to watch live programmes on the BBC.

As long as you don't let them in your house and tell them you dont own a TV, which they can't prove, you could save £100+ a year.

Oh

It's nothing like other licenses, it just goes to the BBC. I don't have a problem with it since their channels are ad free (which is great when they show films) and have some pretty good content (Match of the Day, The Graham Norton Show etc). £145.50 per year works out at £12.13 p/m or £2.80 p/w, if you can afford a tv I'm sure you can afford this.
Reply 5

lol
I got rid f my TV licence as I never watched any live tv anyway and its so expensive. So I just watch netflix and amazon instant video on my TV and if i need to I can still watch catch up without needing a TV licence :biggrin:
Reply 7
BBC channels are ad free so they don't get their money from ads. So instead if you watch live TV, you pay for the licence so that they continue to show their channels without ads
Reply 8
If you don't watch live TV or catch-up on iPlayer you can say so in the TV licence website and will not have to pay.
Original post by Devify
If you don't watch live TV or catch-up on iPlayer you can say so in the TV licence website and will not have to pay.
Watching BBC on catch-up now requires a licence from 1st Sept
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
I got rid f my TV licence as I never watched any live tv anyway and its so expensive. So I just watch netflix and amazon instant video on my TV and if i need to I can still watch catch up without needing a TV licence :biggrin:

Not any more - the law has changed, so you catch watch iPlayer at all without a TV licence
Original post by CrazyKittenLady

From today use of the iplayer requires a licence.

It raises money to pay for content.
Its easy. Dont watch live TV and you wont need a licence.
I swear if you have anything that's capable of watching live TV, be that a phone, tablet, computer, even smartwatches(!!), you still have to pay a licence regardless, and they will find some way of you not being exempt from the license.
In fact even if you watch catch up TV on your phone or something, you still need a license
because our government love taxes. in fact, the tv license isn't even a "license" seeing as you don't have to pass any test to get it - it's just a tax that anybody can pay to get a television. they ought to rename it the tv tax.
Reply 15
There's a new loophole for university students. You don't have to have a TV License for watching iPlayer if the device you're watching it on is not connected to the mains when you're watching (it is allowed to be capable of connecting to the mains.) In this instance you will be covered by your parents TV license assuming they have one.*
Original post by AAls

not really - you need a TV license even to watch sky TV as well apparently - you have to pay them for the BBC even if you don't even watch it on cable systems
Reply 17
Original post by mphysical
Watching BBC on catch-up now requires a licence from 1st Sept

Which is what I said. If you don't watch live TV or catch up on iPlayer which is the BBC catch-up service. Then you don't have to pay for a licence as the licence pays for live TV and BBC iPlayer services
Original post by Wattsy
There's a new loophole for university students. You don't have to have a TV License for watching iPlayer if the device you're watching it on is not connected to the mains when you're watching (it is allowed to be capable of connecting to the mains.) In this instance you will be covered by your parents TV license assuming they have one.*

You need a licence if you watch iplayer period.

You are covered by your parents licence if you watch live TV and your mobile or laptop is unplugged.at he time.

The mobile exception isnt new its been in existence for several years.
To pay for the BBC. I don't agree with this tactic, though. Enforcing public funding for any news station is a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest