The Student Room Group

What the heck is a "True" Gamer/Fan/Christian/Muslim/Artist etc?

What i mean by this is that people often use the term "True" to describe how people should act or what they should do based on some fabricated criteria, that is both pretentious and idealistic. For Example, you are only a "True" fan of Manchester United if you have watched all there matches or you are only a "True" fan of The Walking Dead if you have watched every episode from every season. My point is that no universal definition exists for "True Gamer","True Fan", "True Christian", "True Muslim", "True Artist" so on and so forth. There is no such thing as being a "True" person about something as it's simply based on personal opinion rather than fact. Anyway, i wanted to get insight on what people believe to be "True" :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
What i mean by this is that people often use the term "True" to describe how people should act or what they should do by fabricating some pretentious and idealistic criteria. For Example, you are only a "True" fan of Manchester United if you have watched all there matches or you are only a "True" fan of The Walking Dead if you have watched every episode from every season. My point is that no universal definition exists for "True Gamer","True Fan", "True Christian", "True Muslim", "True Artist" so on and so forth. There is no such thing as being a "True" person about something as it's simply based on personal opinion rather than fact. Anyway, i wanted to get insight on what people believe to be "True" :colonhash:

Nothing is "True", you are correct. There's just people who are more committed to something, and people who are less committed to the same thing. *\(^o^)/*
"Nothing Is True Everything Is Permitted" :wink:
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
What i mean by this is that people often use the term "True" to describe how people should act or what they should do based on some fabricated criteria, that is both pretentious and idealistic. For Example, you are only a "True" fan of Manchester United if you have watched all there matches or you are only a "True" fan of The Walking Dead if you have watched every episode from every season. My point is that no universal definition exists for "True Gamer","True Fan", "True Christian", "True Muslim", "True Artist" so on and so forth. There is no such thing as being a "True" person about something as it's simply based on personal opinion rather than fact. Anyway, i wanted to get insight on what people believe to be "True" :colonhash:

'True' in these instances are subjective. For example, I see a 'True' fan of The Walking dead as someone who has watched the show for many years. Whereas you might say 'anyone who has watched every episode is a true fan'.

So yes, this kind of 'true' is based on personal opinion since there are no facts that can prove or disprove it.
That's known as the "No True Scotsman Fallacy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Quick Reply

Latest