The Student Room Group

Part time job alongside a levels?

I'm about to start my a levels and I was thinking of getting a part time job because it's something that I could add to my CV and personal statement. But would it be too much because of the heavy a level work load? :smile:
Original post by eva1703
I'm about to start my a levels and I was thinking of getting a part time job because it's something that I could add to my CV and personal statement. But would it be too much because of the heavy a level work load? :smile:

It won't be a problem if you're good at time management. I know a few people who managed to balance heavy working hours with a levels, and they achieved all of their goals and met their aims. It also depends on the a levels that you are taking.

But if you think that it is too much of a challenge and you aren't doing it for financial reasons then don't get a job just for the sake of having something to add on your CV and personal statement.

In short, only you can recognise whether you can fit in a job with studying - think about how you would fit it in with revision and lessons (and also downtime). :smile:
The supermarkets are the best, they have many different roles from tills to greeting customers at the door to trolleys to shelf stacking and even in the warehouse or the butchers or the bakery. There is always plenty of overtime when you need it and good for the extra-hours at christmas to make some money and working full-time in the summer and when you finish and if doing a gap year you can work full-time and more from july to january and then go travelling the world!

You have to be positive and see that this time is not taking away from your studying but allowing you to think clearly about all the reading and lessons you've been attending. You can look forward to planning your driving lessons now!

Your CV will show you are ready to help customers, always smiling and have good work ethic to show up on time, being positive, akways a smart uniform and know where you are going in life.

Good luck!
Reply 3
I had a part time job through my GCSEs and my A Levels. Personally I think it's a good thing to have a job, you can't revise 24/7 and it allows you to earn a little money yourself.

You just have to make sure your job doesn't take over the majority of your time as earning money can become very appealing. I worked about 12 hours a week and that was plenty for me. A Levels are very time consuming and you have to make sure you give enough time to revision, but there's nothing wrong with part time jobs. I remember lots of people telling me to quit my job but I kept it going and I'm glad I did as it didn't affect my grades, I just had to make sure I balanced my time appropriately!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest